Saturday, May 4, 2013

Storytelling Sunday: Cruising to Alaska

Good morning, and welcome to Storytelling Sunday, a monthly round-up hosted by Sian of From High in the Sky. For 2013, Sian has suggested we tell stories of our precious keep-sakes, and for May she asked for something outdoorsy.  Since May always floods me with thoughts of my parents (they were both born in May), I thought I would share the story of my Lladro polar bear and the cruise to Alaska we took with my parents. You can read other storytellers's tales for May by clicking on this link.
One summer, shortly after Paul and I were married, we couldn't decide where to go on vacation.  At the last minute, we decided to go on a cruise to Alaska.  My parents were planning to take a similar cruise that summer, but we decidedly did not want to go at the same time.  Yet, through some mix-up which I never quite understood, we ended up booked on the same cruise!
Which turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened.  For the first time since I had moved away at the age of 17, I spent relaxed, quality time with my parents. It was the first time that we ever spent time together after I became an adult. And we found that we really enjoyed each other's company.  We did not eat dinner together and did not book the same shore excursions, but we found many other excuses to be together.  We met for cocktails almost every night, and several mornings we played bridge with my dad. We went shopping with my mom in Sitka and arranged to go to the midnight buffet together one night.   But the best day was the day we cruised through Glacier Bay.  Paul and I arrived in the viewing lounge early and grabbed a table by the window.  My parents arrived later, and we kept the table for the entire day. We had lunch there and many, many, many cocktails. We chatted and played cards and enjoyed the awesome scenery.  Later that day, my mom and I visited the ship's gift shop and we each bought a Lladro polar bear to remind us of the wonderful time we spent together on that cruise.
Both my have since passed away.  They are gone, but definitely not forgotten. And, whenever I look at my Lladro polar bear, I remember how our relationship changed for the better, and for good, after we spent time together on that cruise.

30 comments:

Amy said...

It sounds as though it would have been a great adventure!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Amy, this posted by accident before I had a chance to finish it! Ooops. It's fixed now. LOL!

Amy said...

See, I knew it would have been a good time! I did think it ended abruptly first time around! ;-)

Missus Wookie said...

What a lovely memento of that change. Especially as I'm struggling with remembering both my 'kids' are adults now! Sitting at the table last night with three generations I was so aware of how precious this is.

Miriam said...

How precious is that! Your story is wonderful and reminds me of a time when.... (perhaps I'll keep it for another month) I love how STS brings another memory into focus.

Sian said...

This is really lovely..you have reminded me of a camping holiday we took not long after we were married and some of the family followed us round in their caravan. It was a lot of fun. And I'd love to see Alaska. Wow.

We're kind of at the other end of it now - enjoying the other side as our kids turn into adults and we enjoy their company

Sheena said...

That a wonderful reminder of a happy time shared :)

Jen said...

That really is a wonderful story Rinda - and I love that both you and your mum chose polar bears. I was lucky enough to spend many holidays with my parents and in-laws as an adult - you have reminded me that I really do need to record them. Oh - and not sure if you got my message on an earlier post - but I am to send you a little package in Sian's Great Big Swap - do please get in touch .
Thanks for sharing such a lovely story today Rinda - I really enjoyed reading it. J x

Melissa said...

Such a wonderful memory of time with your parents and a great keepsake to remind you of that time each time you see it! Yesterday was a great day of scrapbooking with my Mama - she's just started back into scrapping and we had 10 hours together that will be a memory I know I'll treasure.

Barbara said...

A lovely story. What wonderful memories you have of the trip, Alaska must have been an interesting place to visit.

Elizabeth said...

Rinda, your story of the Alaskan cruise touched my heart. How I wish we had done something like that with my parents.

The Mann Fam said...

What a lovely memory. It touched a chord i my heart where i have some of the same type memories of cruises and time well spent with my parents. Thanks for bringing those memories back to the surface,

Ladkyis said...

It's amazing how much a person's parents change for the better as we grow up. What a delightful story, thank you for sharing

Lynda said...

What a wonderful trip and memory of your parents. Thanks for sharing it today.

JO SOWERBY said...

He is a beautiful figurine and a perfect memento of your holiday together. You've reminded me of my Lladro figure who graces my shelves.
Jo xxx

Alison said...

What a lovely story, with great memories Rinda..I have an Eskimo and polar bear Lladro piece which mum and dad bought us as an engagement present!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

What a lucky coincidence. Such a happy story and I think your polar bear is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I am glad the coincidence turned out so well and has served you well as a happy memory. At the time of finding your own adult ways it is good to be pulled back to your own parents and be able to appreciate them. Thank you :)

Susanne said...

Oh what a lovely story - it wonderful when we first realize we see our parents in a new way. I don't think it takes away from our memories of them when we are little - it just adds another wonderful dimension to the relationship. Your bear is wonderful. And my story happens to be represented by some Lladro of my own.

Karen said...

What good fortune! I feel blessed to have taken several vacations with my kids since they've become adults. We all seem to have a good time together. I was not lucky enough to have that chance with my parents.

dogmatix said...

Lovely story x

Irene said...

What a cute polar bear to remind you of your precious time with your parents.

Lou said...

a lovely reminder of your time with your parents X

Kirsty.A said...

Great story. i haven't been on holiday with my parents since I was 19

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What a wonderful story!

Flora said...

This is a great story, Rinda! I hope to be able to have a trip like this with my mom someday.

Becky said...

This is such a wonderful story Rinda. Thank you so much for sharing it :-) xx

jeanie g said...

A beautiful story and a lovely loving memory of how you came together in your adult lives. A real treasure.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Rinda and such precious memories you shared. I love your little polar bear.

Lisa-Jane said...

I love the memories that your polar bear holds for you! It is wonderful to be able to hold something in your hand that means so much.