Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Messy Little Details: Seaside Sculpture

Every now and then I take a photo of something that catches my eye, even if I'm not sure what I plan to do with the photo.  Carolyn of Mess, Muddle and Fun has started a photo meme called "messy little details" to give photographers a chance to share these types of photos. You can find this week's entries or join in by clicking here.
I've taken the challenge in a slightly different direction and am using the meme as an opportunity to practice my photo editing skills, especially pairing these types of photos with quotes. I'm using picmonkey because it is so darn easy.  And free.  For today's photo, I started with an instagram shot, added a quote, then a polaroid frame and then some more text. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I can see myself doing something similar with other photos.  Anyone else every played much with picmonkey? Any other recent finds you want to share?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that was quick of you in linking up! I was just checking the post had gone live and saw your link. :D

Love what you are doing with these photos, and how you are making this your own...I always like that, we should take ideas and put our own style on them. I've played with some photo editing apps, but not picmonkey. I do like your editing here and being able to add text is great.

alexa said...

Not come across pic monkey, but that is a great photo ... Love the warm light and your distressed frame too.

Sian said...

Yes, I use picmonkey. It's so easy.

I love the warm light in this picture too.

Bernice Hopper said...

This is great.

Amy said...

No, I don't use Picmonkey - but I do like taking photos of all sorts of things washed up on beaches.

Abi said...

I love the texture and shapes in this photo. I used to use picmonkey and still do for some collages but now i guess I use photoshop more. I do like the ease of picmonkey though/

helena said...

love the complexity of the shapes and the soft colours - did you also create the sculpture?

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Never tried picmonkey, but I love your photo and the quote you put with it made me smile. Perfect!

scrappyjacky said...

I like Picmonkey as well...and love what you've done with the photo.

~*~Patty S said...

looks great
I may have to try picmonkey again...
I had issues with it loading my photos sideways = OY!

so far Pixlr is my go to for easy peasy photo altering...
oxo

JO SOWERBY said...

I have used picmonkey once but I actually use Picassa which I have downloaded on my computer. If I have time and really want to play I go back to Photoshop.
Love this sculpture and the rhyme. We used to do that as a tongue twister when we were children,
Jo xxx

Unknown said...

love it, not come across picmonkey

Miriam said...

This is nice Rinda, I love beachy finds. I make lots of photo's knowing I might use them 'for something' I really love that about digital photography so easy and cheap!
I use Photoshop for editing.

Pat said...

I have not used picmonkey, but you had me thinking about a bunch of other links I had saved over time. I went back and revisited one of them and made some ID badges at BigHugeLabs, where some of the stuff is free (and easy to use). Here are the badges I created on my blog
http://artkerfuffle.blogspot.com/2013/05/license-to-create.html

Dynamo said...

I came across your blog from Messy Little details. You have a wonderful blog here and this edited photo is awesome. Love that you made the challenge all your own!