Monday, May 6, 2013

Month in Numbers and Glue it Tuesday (all rolled into one!)

Julie Kirk hosts a monthly round-up of people documenting their month in numbers. I've watched others do it and thought it was cool. But I never figured out how to do it (even though Julie has this wonderful tutorial). The idea of tracking numbers throughout the month simply felt overwhelming.
But then, this month, someone did a very nice month in numbers lay out which featured five numbers. Just Five. And that seemed do-able. And Fun.
About the same time, I was busy cutting and tearing and gluing paper onto a page in my sketch book for Aimee's Glue it Tuesday. I started with a doodle I had created during a work meeting and then taken home to water color. I added some complimentary papers. 
There seemed to be a nice expanse for some journaling. So, I took the leap and decided to record some numbers from April. I decided to organize my numbers around travel, since that seemed to fit with my little compass doodle.
Here's what I came up with:
"24 miles to work - 13 classes taught;  2 finals written
2400 miles to Detroit, Mich. - 55 minute taxi ride downtown in traffic
58 miles to Santa Cruz for training - 13.2 miles in a half-marathon; 14 bunnies seen on the Coastside trail on a recent run
439 miles to Eugene, Oregon - 10 applications, 7 acceptances, 1 Duck."
This was a lot of fun, and I'm sure I'll do it again.
To see other people posting to Month in Numbers, check out this link.
For other folks playing in the Glue it Tuesday lounge, click here.

18 comments:

Amy said...

I'm really enjoying MIN this year - I too thought it would be really hard to keep track of the numbers but they sort of just morph out of nowhere. Having a theme is a good idea, mine have been general - but I think I'd like to try a theme at some stage.

Great page! :)

debs14 said...

Great page! I was a bit hesitant with MIN too, but have got into it now and enjoy sitting down at the end of a month and recapping what has happened.

helena said...

Love that you incorporated MIN with your collaged page.

Missus Wookie said...

I like reading other peoples MIN - I like how you've combined it with the art journal page here.

Julia said...

Well done for taking the plunge! Numbers are everywhere once you start blogging them!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of using a theme. Mine have been sort of a mish mash but I'm thinking I'll try a theme for May's.

Sian said...

That's quite a lot of miles! Recording in numbers is a bit different to recording in words, isn't it? More of a challenge for me, definitely.

Irene said...

This sounds interesting. It is making me wonder what my numbers would look like.

Julie Kirk said...

I've always, always said that people should adapt the idea to suit their style of memory keeping - and this is perfect!

I've even suggest people record one number if they feel like it - there are definitely no rules!

And I often reverse-engineer anyway ... I think of the stories I want to tell for the month ... and hunt out a number that fits!

As ever I'm completely impressed by your training and fundraising - more power to you!!

Thanks for joining me with this lovely debut Rinda- I've added you to the board now: http://pinterest.com/notesonpaper/my-month-in-numbers/

Happy May to you and yours!

Julie :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a month in numbers ...and making it work with GIT is brilliant! Awesome page and colors...14 bunnies, cute!
Lynn

Lou said...

Glad you found a way to make it work. Great numbers to have recorded x

Deborah Weber said...

What a wonderful page, and I love how you found your way into the numbers. Very nice indeed!

Karen said...

I love these month in numbers pages, and have yet to figure out a system that will work for me. But I'm thinking on it.

Melissa said...

I really love your page, the colours are gorgeous. You certainly did a good chunk of travel in your month.

Miriam said...

I love how you combined this , very creative!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Very nice how you put this together! That is a lot of miles!

storybeader said...

neat exercise in numbers! And I like your doodles at work. I have two big meetings coming up - have to see if I can do the same... {:-D

Unknown said...

I love your page and the art journalling feel to it. Great numbers too.