Friday, May 3, 2013

Messy Little Details: A few thoughts

Carolyn, over at Mess, Muddle, and Fun has started a weekly photo meme she calls Messy Little Details, where photographers can share those photos of little things that catch our eye. You can see this week's photos and learn more about the project at this link.
I was attracted to the project because I often do find myself captivated by messy little details.  While out back, for instance, I found myself drawn to these two images:
I like the garden weasel photo because of the color and shape, as well as what it suggests about activity in the garden.  I like the tennis ball on the grass because it suggests a story as well, but it is not clear what the story is. It's a bit of a mystery, isn't it?
When I first read Carolyn's description of her project, I think I focused too much on the term messy little details and thought my photos had to be dirty, grungy, etc. After having seen Carolyn's most recent stunning photo of a rope tied to pier, I realize that the emphasis is really on life's messy little details and the "messy" part is just a cute tie-in with her blog name. 
That freed me up to work with the rhododendron photograph at the top of today's post.  It is a little messy, a little soft-focus, but I really like the light and the details and the depth of field (as always, you can click on any image on my blog to see a larger, clearer version).  I used pic-monkey to add a frame and a quote (thanks again to this fantastic list of quotes published by skinny artist). I went back and reread Carolyn's post about her project and loved it when she said that she "just wants people to enjoy their photography."  I am enjoying reflecting on and writing about why certain details catch my eye. It's a lot like what I do with my "My Photographer's Eye" series, but with photos beyond those taken on instagram.
This week made me realize how much I enjoy working with picmonkey to do something a little special with my photographs. These creations feel like a departure for me; something new; an evolution in my style. I used the same process to create the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt badge, which, to be honest, I kindof  really love. Carolyn's messy little project really is helping me discover some details of my secret self. Just like Godard suggests it should. How cool is that?
Have a great weekend, and maybe I'll see you tomorrow for Sian's Storytelling Sunday.

12 comments:

Amy said...

So many wonderful details in your post today Rinda. The tennis ball makes me laugh because you won't see any in our backyard - our puppy used to eat them!

Rinda, if you like Picmonkey and playing around with images then I think you are edging closer to some more photoshop experimentation ... there is a LOT of cool stuff out there just waiting for you!

I love your new badge this year too!

helena said...

stunning flower image and great quote.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture or the rhodendron. I love how that angle really shows the stamen.

Sian said...

It's a great idea for a series. I need to make more time simply to take pictures!

Pic monkey is genius.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I like the garden weasel!

Alison said...

I love Picmonkey too...great shots..and love the quote!
Alson xx

Jo Murray said...

Great post...thanks for the links. Those quotes are fab.

Dynamo said...

wonderful photos - love the one at the top that quote is awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you not only for taking part but for the thought you have put into this and for sharing your process.

Yes, you are right in that the 'messy' was a play on my blog name - although I think that is the first time in many years I have been called cute. I do have a lot of messy, grungy, old, broken, etc photos and many of them will be shown, but it was the other things, the textures, colours, oddities, details etc that I wanted to bring out - the photos we have to take.

I love what you've done with the photo and must look into picmonkey. I've been playing around with lots of different apps since getting my iphone and loving what I can do with the photos and somehow feel much more free to do 'arty' experiments with them than I do when I take a photo on my camera and edit in photoshop.

Karen said...

I think the flower is stunning!

~*~Patty S said...

I have been enjoying your photos with quotes ... best of both worlds in my view ;)
I use pixlr which is a free photo altering program that even someone like me who is very non tech savy can use...

oxo

Becky said...

My photo professor says you haven't explored your world until you' ve photographed everything within 10 feet of you. A good exercise, I love the concept of life's details. I love to try to make the mundane look interesting.