Monday, January 30, 2012

Vintage Photo Cards with my Counterfeit Kit

I'm always looking for good ideas for using my large collection of vintage photographs, and this month's Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog Sketch seemed to me like it would work. The sketch came from the Unscripted Sketches Blog (Sketch #141):
What I found intriguing about the sketch is that it reminded me of many scrapbook layouts I see, but that I would never copy,  because they only use one photograph (I usually scrap 3-6 per page) and because I have trouble leaving that much white space (I know I'm supposed to "learn to love white space," but it's hard for me).
But I love, love, love how this sketch worked for making cards which featured my collection of heritage photographs and which used the counterfeit kit I put together for January. Have you ever used a scrapbook sketch for cards? Or vice-versa?

14 comments:

Amy said...

I don't seem to vary my card designs all that much - I can see how this one works though.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

Awesome photos you have. I'm like you, I normally scrap three to four pictures per page. I try different layouts but I always seem to go back to the same ones.

Cheri said...

great switch up Rinda! Also, wanted to say thanks... my happy stamps arrived last week and I'm looking forward to putting them to good use.

Sian said...

I'm not much of a sketch user at all. But I can certainly see how perfectly this one has worked!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Like Sian, I rarely use sketches but I'm starting to lean that way as I am running out of ideas for weekly cards for my mom and grandma. Your cards inspire me to bust out some of those vintage photos you copied for me!

And by the way, I had a text from my mom yesterday saying she received happy mail from you. It really cheered her up! Thanks so much, Rinda. Your kindness is very appreciated! xo

scrappyjacky said...

I'm with you on the white space....I tend to find it difficult....but as you know I love sketches and find some very suitable for interchanging between scrap and card.
I love what you've done here.

Anonymous said...

Your cards work really well with the vintage images. I too struggle to leave white space - I keep trying, but want to fill it up with something!

Nordljus said...

Love those vintage photographs and how you used them! I can understand your fear of "white space", it's so tempting to cover everything up.

Jimjams said...

I do when the sketches are as simple as that one was! Love the cards - though No.2's clever use of a bold PP make it feel like the white space has disappeared - amazing how different the cards look!

laurie said...

great cards! your use of space makes the faces stand out more which is fitting since they are looking at us through time.

Lisa said...

what lovely cards and such a great use for vintage photos - what a treat it would be to receive one of these in the post.

i use sketches whenever they catch my eye regardless of if they are for layouts or cards - it can take a bit of lateral thinking but that's what makes it interesting!

Anonymous said...

I have, and I've done the reverse as well.

Jen said...

Cool, Rinda. Isn't this Counterfeit game inspiring? I have stepped so far out of my Comfort Zone this month. A great challenge. Helping me to grow and experiment.

Susanne said...

Love your vintage card! I am a big proponent of sketches for both cards and layouts - they are priceless as far as I am concerned because they help me to mix things up.