Monday, January 2, 2012

Starting the New Year Right

New Year's Day in the United States feels a bit off this year because January 1 fell on a Sunday. So, a lot of the traditional new year events, such as the Rose Parade and football games got put off until Monday, January 2, which is also a holiday here. In many ways, the second seems like the start of the year.  So, today I thought I'd share some of what I'm doing with my 2012 OLW ("home").  I've started to do a lot of cleaning and purging in my craft area and clothes closet (because I store a lot of my craft stuff in my clothes closet). It feels great to get organized and focused on where I want to be in my art.  For Christmas, I received the book "Painted Pages" by Sarah Ahearn Bellemare, which Sian had featured in her Pass the Book blog activity and which really captured my imagination (even though my name never got pulled in the Pass the Book draw). I've been working my way through the exercises, and I used one of them to create the art journal page above which talks about approaching each new year as a journey. For me, this journey will actually take me deeper inside my home (my creative home, as well as my physical home). I've been thinking a lot about what I want to focus on in my art this year, and that has helped me in deciding what to keep and what to toss.   I also found an assortment of projects that I want to finish.  I'm looking forward to a very fun year creatively!
In my organizing, I came across three idea books which are really quite good (which is why I had not parted with them before) but a little dated and not really my style anymore.  I am happy to send them to anyone who wants them.  Preference given to people in the states to keep the cost of shipping down, but I'll send them abroad if no one here wants them.  If more than one person wants them, I'll draw names.  You can ask for one, two or all three.  The books are:
Full Circle by Lil Davis Designs (about Circle Journals);
PaperKuts Power Book of Tips and Techniques and
Rebecca Sower's Scrapbooking Life's Little Treasures (has a lot of good journaling advice).
{UPDATED to add: I'm sending Full Circle off to Nancy and Life's Little Treasures off to Carrie in today's mail. Going media mail, so it may take a few extra days. Enjoy!}

9 comments:

Beverly said...

I like your focus for OLW this year. Organizing really does help us be more creative I think. Have fun exploring your art this year!

scrappyjacky said...

I think a re-organisation of my craft area and storage should be a priority for me this year....it would help both my enjoyment and productivity if I were more organised,I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Actually organizing is one of my favorite activities; it's so satisfying. When we return from our trip to Oregon, my craft closet is going to get a thorough look-through. I need to be more honest with myself about what I might really use, and get rid of the rest!

Sian said...

Yes, a bit of cleaning and purging should really be on my list too!

I loved that Painted Pages book - it's still doing the rounds so it could still have landed with you,but I don't blame you at all for wanting a personal copy. I'm hoping mine is returned safe and sound in 2012!

Cheri said...

I got Painted Pages for Christmas as well! I haven't really jumped into yet, but it's ready for me when I'm ready for it!

laurie said...

wow! you got right after your new year's projects. i am still riding along in winter break mode. :-)

Unknown said...

Love the layout! I need to do some spring cleaning of my craft room as well...there's just so much to go through!

And I'd love to see that "Scrapbooking Life's Little Treasures" if no one else is interested in it. ;)

Irene said...

It is nice of you to share the books. I too am getting organized and cleaning. I give my items to the senior group at church who make crafts to sell at the annual bazaar.

nancy y said...

I'd take the Circle Journal book as I just found one in my stash and want to use it with a art friend who lives in Indiana. You could pass off at a WCS event if easier!