Saturday, January 7, 2012

Jan. Counterfeit Kit and OLW Check-in

The Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog has a wonderful selection of kits from Cocoa Daisy to counterfeit this month. They're all warm and vintagey - right up my alley!  I was inspired by both the sunshine and snowflakes kit:
and the amber snowflake kit:
to make my kit at the top of today's post. I wanted to keep it small and selected mainly 6x6 papers from my stash.  I'm going to use the kit to work on a variety of projects.  I want to enter the Gingersnap Creations Twinchie Art Exchange (vintage theme) and also create some altered wooden blocks, something like these made by Deb Turtle. I also used the kit to make the Tim Holtz birthday card I posted yesterday!
*************************************************************************
In other news, I've been focusing on my one little word for 2012 ("Home") by starting a major cleaning and reorganization of my craft space (which also means reorganizing my clothes closet, since I store supplies in there). It will take me a while to complete, but this week I accomplished the following:
*Sorted through all my craft books, back issues of craft magazines and stamping catalogs. Gave away two books; recycled 24 old magazines and catalogs.
*Sorted through my scraps and threw away several pounds of scraps that were really too small to do much with and which just created clutter.
*Organized my jewelry (hint: old stampin' up stamp containers are a great way to store beaded necklaces because you see them but they're contained) and took six pieces of jewelry in for repair. I store my jewelry in my closet, too, so that's why it's part of this organization.
*Organized my bookshelf which holds crafting supplies, clearing enough space to store several albums on it, which meant that I could organize the upstairs bookshelves enough to hold all the other scrapbook albums.
*Created a system for storing my collage sheets and began to sort through and file my collection.
*Created a storage system for my pens, pastels, pencils and chalks. 
*Organized my clothes closet and purged it of all the clothes which I don't wear (I threw out one shopping bag of clothes which were unwearable and filled four other shopping bags with clothes to donate). Sorted through my clothes drawers while I was at it!
*Purged a very full, somewhat musty, old large rolling crop bag. I either moved the contents to a better storage system or threw them away.  Tossed the old bag, which was actually kindof smelly. Eeewww!
*Organized my photos to be scrapped (along with appropriate supplies) into three different utility bags: summer vacation 2011; sports photos 2010-11; miscellaneous 2011. It will make it easy to work on these when I get some scrapping time.
I still have a lot to do before the organization and purging is complete - dealing with my overflowing stamp collection is the biggest puzzle still to solve - but I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm really, really happy with how it's going.  After I finish with my craft space, I have lots of other home projects to do - organizing/purging the front closet; organizing/cleaning the laundry room; organizing the kids' closets; clearing out the back yard; etc. etc.  I'm hoping to post an update on my blog now and again to track my progress, so I remember how much I've accomplished.  Are you doing anything special to track progress on your one little word?

26 comments:

scrappymo! said...

It will be fun to see those twinchies. You have a great kit going there.
Great progress on your OLW so far. Sounds like you got a lot done.
I am doing OLW as well. I love starting out the year with a guide to plan my years direction!

alexa said...

My goodness, that's whirlwind start! You've accomplished loads so far :). I am still thinking how best to explore my word for the year ...

Lisa said...

nice interpretation of both kits and it sounds like you know exactly what you'll be doing with it too! great job. As for your purging/sorting/organising - WOW! There's no time like the present to make a start and that's quite a start you made ;-) Great!

JO SOWERBY said...

wow you have been and will be super busy. want to come and help me? i am so pleased to see yet another friend taking part in OLW 2012. It is looking to be a fab year of learning and friendship already,
Love Jo xxx

Anonymous said...

Love your little kit - and it's so nice to see some different supplies. I'm very impressed with your organising and de-cluttering - I'm doing something similar (but on a smaller and it seems slower scale!)

Jen Cro said...

Love that you already have a lot of plans for your little kit. And the vintage photos are great with all of the golds.

Unknown said...

You have been busy, a great start to your OLW project.

Sian said...

Start as you mean to go on,eh? That's a fine start too

I love the idea of a kit made with 6x6 papers - I think you could be on to something here. A new kind of kit club, maybe?

Becky said...

I love your counterfeit kits. Well done with the sorting out you have done so far and good luck with the rest! I'm not doing one little word, so nothing for me to track! I suppose thinking about it, if I were to choose one this year it would be celebrate - actually this has got me thinking now and I might actually join in!

scrappyjacky said...

You seem to have got an amazing amount done already,Rinda.
I like the sound of a kit using 6 x 6 papers.....I have so many of those.

beccaf1970 said...

Love your take on the kit! Wow, you have been productive this week!! Please tell me you are still on winter break! :)

Irene said...

You are on top of your OLW. Keep up the good work.

Beverly said...

You have been very busy, we're at the point in our Year of Organizing and Purging that I fully realize how big a project it is and how wonderful it will feel when it is all finished. Please share if you find a great storage system for your stamps. I feel like I should sell mine since for me out of sight means for the most part out of mind :(

Tara O said...

Love your kits! And wow...look at your productivity..that's AWESOME

Ginger said...

Wow, you have been busy Rinda :) That is an excellent start to the New Year! BTW - your kits are very vintagey and look forward to seeing what you make!

Unknown said...

I seriously adore the vintage feel of your counterfeit kit!

Margie said...

I love your vintage style kit-perfect for this month!!

Alison said...

Great start with your OLW Rinda...it really has spurred you on so far!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

Love the kit and am so impressed with your organization projects! I'm giving myself a needed break while I'm in Oregon visiting the new baby. I'll take on the OLW accountability when I get back.

The Mann Fam said...

Wow! Great work, Rinda.

Lisa said...

Inspiring kit. Looking forward to your creations.

Crystal said...

Can't wait to see what you make this month.

Jimjams said...

Love your vintage kit Rinda, well done on the organisation too!

Rebecca at How I Burb said...

Great kit! I love 6x6 papers, they're so useful. And that's quite a list of organizing! Watch the Counterfeit Kit blog later this month for some posts about organizing - I'm looking forward to that part of the month :).

Jen said...

I think I first learned about Counterfeit Kit Club from your blog so thank you very much for that little bit of inspiration. Looking forward to playing with mine.

Susanne said...

I am late getting around and was impressed that you had done so much in the craft room and it's only the 15th of the month. Then I realized you posted this on the 7th. I am in awe. Great kit too - wow you are on a roll!