Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rebuilding the Infrastructure (and some upgrades)

Recently, some of the key things on which I rely have gone missing or broken down:  my car, my cell phone, my computer, the telephoto lens on my camera.  My cell phone was returned, and Paul took my car in to get fixed.  And, on Black Friday, I bought a new computer and a replacement camera lens.  Not really presents, more like replacements. 
But there are a few upgrades that really have to fall into the present category:  that very cool 85 mm lens up there and photoshop elements installed on my computer. 
I love, love, love my new computer:  fast with tons of memory.  Still figuring out how to do everything on it, but I managed to scan and post today's Tim tag.  I'm also really looking forward to learning photoshop in 2011. I'm thinking of signing up for a Jessica Sprague class called From Good to Great Workflow (a basic, introductory photo editing class) and maybe Ali Edwards Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (a layout based class that will cover scanning and improving old photos, but it's a lot of money).  Anyone have any experience with these or other recommendations?  Anyone else thinking about their 2011 plans yet?  Have you gotten any presents yet?

10 comments:

Amy said...

The first Jessica Sprague digi scrapping class is an excellent all-rounder and my favourite of her photo editing classes is the Frame Ups and Special Effects one - this was the class with the a-ha moments for me. Jessica's classes are a always available and are video based - excellent for visual learners and you work through each class module at your own pace, I have started her second digi class and I love that I can come and go without too much worry or stress.
Have fun with elements, I think that once you get the hang of the basics you will love what the possibilities are and you will also be surprised at how creative you can be in a digital sense!

scrappyjacky said...

Another great tag,Rinda.
And although I'm not a great digi user, I'd certainly recommend Jessica Sprague's classes as being really easy follow. It's worth looking out for a free Kim Klassen class as well...the one I took was great.

laurie said...

i just love your bird tag! if i saw it in a store i would just have to buy it. i have not made many plans for the new year yet as i am running on fumes already this month! but i did sign up for BIG, a painting class from dirty footprints studio that begins in january.

Terry said...

Loving your birdie tag! The greens and red with the haning ornament is just so festive! Enjoy the new computer. I am liking mine, but don't care of the print. Maybe in time!!! For some reason, I make a ton of typos and that is a real pain!!! Have a great weekend!

humel said...

Gorgeous tag :-) I can recommend Jessica Sprague too.

I'm getting a dSLR for Christmas (WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! I'm a bit excited.....) I chose and ordered it myself, but I'm not allowed to have it till Christmas Day! xx

nancy y said...

Jessica Sprague classes are good. And don't forget to check out Jac's tutorials over at the Club Scrap Community - she's got some good ones and they won't cost you a thing. They aren't specifically for photo editing, but they do help you learn elements!

Sian said...

It's good to hear you are enjoying your new computer. AND Photoshop? Cool! Though I think that probably means I'm now the only person I know who doesn't have it lol

I was thinking about Ali's class, but it is a bit pricey.

Jingle said...

This is a great tag!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I think Jessica has a class similar to Ali's but it's just fixing the old photos, not scrapping with them. I took it earlier this year & really enjoyed it

Anonymous said...

I have never been disappointed in one of Jessica's courses and have taken several of them. I learned a lot about Photoshop Elements from both her photo editing course and from her beginning digital scrapbooking course.