Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: Some Favorites

I'm totally loving all the Top 10 Blog posts, so I decided to add my Top 10 Blog favorites from 2010:
1.  Four People Twelve Times.  I started this project back in May.  Once a month, I make the family pose for a family snapshot.  I got the idea from Tara Whitney. I missed November, but I've been pretty steady otherwise.
2.  Telling Stories.  I have used my blog as a vehicle this year to tell a lot of stories, and I've loved each one.  Several things have pushed me in this direction - Shimelle's True Stories class, Sian's Christmas Club, and a continuing feature I call "Pictures to Scrapbook," which started as an idea in Shimelle's Blogging for Scrapbookers Class. 
3.  House Party Blog Hop. I loved organizing this blog hop, I loved writing the tutorial that went along with it, I loved sending out packages all over the world, but most of all, I loved seeing everyone's completed Altered Houses.
4.  Debbie Hodge's Building Pages Scrapbooking Class. I didn't do that much scrapbooking this year, but the best scrapbooking class I took for motivation and content was this one. 
5.  Art Journaling. I probably did more art journaling than any other papercraft in 2010.  I mainly have the amazing Dina Wakley to thank for that.  Of all her classes that I took this year,  AJ 101 was my favorite.  I also started teaching Art Journaling classes this year, and I have loved each and every one of them.
6.  Challenge Blogs. I enjoy finding artistic challenges to get my creative juices flowing.  My favorite this year have been Linda Ledbetter's Studio L3 Compendium of Curiosities Challenge, the Gingersnap Creations Challenge Blog and the Something Completely Different challenge blog, which sadly just closed.  I'll miss that one
7. Plaster. I think of this as my signature media. There's not that many other people out there working in it.  My work in plaster got a huge boost from this summer's Creativity Boot Camp which I thoroughly enjoyed.
8.  Photography. Second only to art journaling, 2010 was a huge year for me and my photography. I learned a lot through some self teaching, but also from a short-lived series called Develop on Friday (now gone); the BPS class "Get out of Auto"; the Shimelle class "Love Your Pictures, Love Your Pages"; the inspiring blogs of Tammy Bradley; and the content-rich blog Digital Photography Studio.
9. Mixed media and assemblage.  Love this art form and was lucky to take many classes this year with Connie Andrews and one with Michael De Meng.
10. Blogging.  I love having the opportunity to share my work with you each and every day, and I love getting to know you all through your comments and your blogs.  Looking forward to another great blogging year in 2011.

11 comments:

Amy said...

2010 was indeed a great year and a highlight for me has been all of the wonderful posts here at your place. I have loved your reviews, challenges and photography. I also love that we create in such a contrasting manner and I feel that there is always something for me to learn when I drop by here each day in between school pick-ups and making dinner!

scrappyjacky said...

I ditto everything Amy has said...you are one of my favorite and most inspiring blogs to visit....and am so looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year!!
Happy New Year.

Terry said...

I don't blieve my comment took, so here goes again! It has been very inspiring to visit your blog and to get to know you! I have enjoyed your creations, stories and family time! Wishing you the very best of 2011!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I loved seeing your recap of 2010, Rinda. You have really accomplished a lot and I'm so glad you have shared these things on your blog. Even though we have different styles, I'm always inspired (and in awe) of the art you create. Here's wishing you all the best in 2011!!!

debs14 said...

You have certainly experimented with various styles and mediums with your art work in 2010 Rinda. It was a great year for blogging, and I'm kind of hoping that blog hop may become an annual event ;-)
Happy New Year x

Anonymous said...

It's a great list, Rinda. I love your art journaling and seeing the many techniques you incorporate into your work. Your class reviews are the best I know, and the highlight for me this year was getting to meet you in person! It's been a great year, and I'm looking forward to blogging with you in 2011.

Sian said...

A fabulous list Rinda - very enjoyable to read and think about. The House Party WAS a lot of fun! And I do have a plan for some more storytelling..

A Very Happy New Year to you and yours Rinda - I have a feeling you are going to have a wonderfully creative 2011!

Mommy2CVC said...

I love visiting your blog everyday and look forward to seeing what you have created or what you are working on! I am so proud to be related to you! Have a great 2011! Can't wait to see whay you create!!!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

You had a lot going on this year! It's been great reading your posts about everything

humel said...

Ah, yes - you've mentioned some of my favourites here, too :-) It's been so good to follow along your blog through 2010, and I look forward to blogging with you through 2011 xx

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

you guys look great on the picture, what an awesome family.

And that's such a great idea, to take a family picture each month.
I can see myself doing that and then creating a scrapbook album with a story of what we were doing that day.

What I'm doing now is kind of a ritual where we go to an ice cream place when the day falls within repeating numbers, like this year...01/11/11 and 11/11/11...etc. But up 'till now I didn't think of taking a picture...shucks! I missed the last 10 years. Good thing I read your post, I'll be taking pics from now on.