Thursday, December 23, 2010

Heritage Christmas Photograph

I have always loved this heritage photograph of my father's side of the family, taken in about 1959 or 1960.  You can tell it's Christmas by the tree behind my Uncle Tom.  My father is standing on the far right, and my mom is seated in front of him, holding my sister Cordelia on her lap.  My Tia Lupe is in front of Uncle Tom, and my Grandparents are to her right.  The man is uniform is my Uncle Johnny, and my Uncle Jesse is on the far left.  This last year I have been lucky to reconnect with my cousin Irene through facebook and our blogs.  She's a talented stained glass artist in Houston, Texas and also happens to be that very cute little girl in the front row, far left.  In this photo, I also love the television and my father's graduation picture hanging on the wall.
At this time of year, I really miss my mom and dad who have been gone for over five years now. My grandparents and aunts and uncles are all gone, too.  A big goal I have for 2011 is to work on my heritage and geneology scrapbook, as a way of keeping their memory alive. 

This post is scheduled for Christmas Eve, and I plan to go out to the cemetery to visit mom and dad today. I want to take a few minutes to remember and honor them. I hope you will be able to do the same for your loved ones who are no long with us.


7 comments:

Sian said...

Yes.

A very merry Christmas from our house to yours Rinda!

debs14 said...

I went and had my 'chat' last week and shall light a couple of candles to have on the table Christmas Day.
This is a lovely photo Rinda, so many family members there, I am impressed that you can name so many of them!
Have a happy Christmas and a healthy and peaceful new year x

scrappyjacky said...

A photo full of memories,Rinda. A very Happy Christmas to you.

humel said...

Lovely photo, and lovely post. Yes, I'm taking time for that too.

Merry Christmas, Rinda xx

Yoli said...

What a lovely memory. My parents also passed away years ago but I live too far away to visit the cemetary. So I light a candle at Church in their honor.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a wonderful treasure to have a photo like this, Rinda. And, I'm sorry you are missing your parents - I know the holidays are tough. My mother-in-law has been gone for three Christmas's now, and it almost seems harder this year than before. Much love to you and your family this holiday season!

Irene said...

Reading your blog in my kitchen when I saw the family picture, I look up from my laptop and see the same window in your picture. Even though I do not remember taking this photo, it brings back alot of memories in this old house. I remember the many family gatherings especially when family from California came to Texas. Hope you and your family have a wonderful and safe New Year. Keep up with your journaling, I love reading them.