Sunday, September 5, 2010

Treasures of Childhood (Mixed Media)

This piece took a long time to complete, but I am very happy with the finished product! It started as the central 6x6 canvas, which I made in a class on glass bead gel and blogged about in this post. I knew I wanted to incorporate the canvas into a larger piece and searched for a long time for a house-shaped frame.  When I couldn't find one, I considered making one! Sanity prevailed, and I settled on using this picture frame and adding a drawer pull on top to at least suggest the house shape.  Matted and layered the canvas and then added five treasures from my stash. Took forever to select and arrange the treasures; project then stalled because my favorite adhesive (E6000) was dried out.  Quick trip to the hardware store; no E600 available.  Settled on super glue. So what do you think? If you like 3D art, you should check out the Gingersnap Creations 3D challenge this month, where I'm submitting this piece. By the way, three of the treasures are quite old (fifty years or so) and two are quite new.  Can you guess which are which?

9 comments:

Amy said...

I am constantly amazed with your creativity Rinda - this really is fantastic. Again, it is the attention to detail and the texture which is outstanding.

Now ... the older items: the key looks older and perhaps the donkey or the wagon ... not sure :-)

I nearly forgot, the frame suits the project very well!

Sian said...

I can't guess which are the older items. Is one of them the little wagon? I love it.

I hope this wonderful piece is going to be dispalyed with pride.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! Every minute you spent on it was worth it. I'm guessing the drawer pull (wonderful idea!) and the key. I'm not sure about #3.

scrappyjacky said...

Another stunning piece,Rinda...I'm guessing the key, but not sure what else.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hmmm...I'm going to guess the key, the covered wagon, and the postcard charm. Am I right?

I love 3-D art, and the little trinkets you chose for this piece are perfect, Rinda.

Sorry I've been somewhat absent in commenting over here...trying to rest my shoulder from "mousing around" as much as I can. xoxo

Margi said...

Yet another amazing piece of art! Gorgeous!

humel said...

Love it, wow! :-) I love work with texture. I'm rubbish at guessing age though (as I mentioned on Shimelle's forum!)...

nancy y said...

key, wagon, donkey.

Super, super piece Rinda!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Rinda, this is absolutely gorgeous! I love how you worked that glass bead gel, and the colors are imagery are just beautiful.

I happen to have a house-shaped frame that I picked up at the dollar store. Email me with your address and I'll send it to you!

Great job on the Gingersnaps 3d challenge!