Friday, September 17, 2010

Old September Lessons

The last time I took Shimelle's Learn Something New Everyday class, I used it to work on a set of 52 ATC cards I had started in a class taught by Emily Falconbridge. I remember using the Bernie Berlin ATC Workshop book for background. I thought it was last year and that I had followed the prompts.  Well, it turns out I did these in 2007 and very few followed the prompts!  I did, at least, make a card for each day in September. Here's four cards that at least bear some resemblance to some of this year's prompts:
"The Ninth Month" - done on 9/1 to kick off the project
"Captured" - done on 9/5 (learning from old things) - it's a new way to use mica to encapsulate something. I was channeling "Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book" (which is a hoot and a half if you've never seen in). I love the way her bum peeks out from underneath.
"No Half Way" - done on 9/15 to mark the halfway project of the project and think about what I'd learned so far (plus included a photo of me underneath).  The stamp quote reads:
"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."
"The Future" - done on 9/20 and keys off the prompt to learn from the future.
I"ll do another round up of old lessons at month's end.  Anyone else do this class more than once?  How is your project different this year?

7 comments:

Margi said...

Love your ATCs Rinda!

Amy said...

This is my second year and I have lost a lot of inspiration I have to say .. fortunately, because of my format, I will be able to add photos later on and still have a photobook which is a good representation of the month. I didn't journal this year .. perhaps that's why I'm not all that keen on it.

humel said...

Really interesting to revisit your project, and to think about my own! I did it for the first time last year.

Both times I haven't really followed the prompt; both times I've gone 'small' (last year was a 6x6 book, this year is tiny!!). Last year I'd just started my blog and used it mostly for sharing the pages. This year I'm blogging all my little lessons from each day then choosing which I want to scrap. This year I've tried to go digital with it (in addition to the tiny paper project) but have fallen behind with that because of not having the templates available.

A mixture of similarities and differences then! Like Amy, though, I felt more inspired last year and over the last few days I haven't really been 'feeling' it :-(

Lizzie said...

Ah, I started off very well last year, with a hand-sewn book, made from repurposed packing paper. I kept up every day, even when I was ill in bed for 3 days, until mid-month, when my mum got ill and ended up in hospital. It all stopped then, as there was just too much else to do. I just looked at the book for last year - the pages I did were really quite nice! This year I have gone for a loose-page format, as the hand-stitched book was already very fat with just half a month's pages. I think I'll use a strip of red or brown leather to tie the pages together at the end.

I love your four ATC's. A really interesting (and very Rinda!) way to tackle the project!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o) LOVE the colors in your "9" card, and the phrase on your "discovery" one. This makes me want to sit down and make ATC's today - something I've never done before.

Sian said...

It's always enjoyable to go back and take another look at an old project. I signed up last year, but didn't even make a start, this year I'm keeping up and starting to think ahead to JYC as well.

I love your ATC format.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

These are really lovely. Love the discovery one!