Friday, September 3, 2010

The Butterfly Seller at the Mercado (Dias de los Muertos Nicho)

In addition to Halloween, I also really enjoy creating art for Dias de los Muertos, a celebration in the Latino community which has its roots in All Souls Day and is a way of honoring our ancestors and those who have recently passed away.  "Nichos" are scenes featuring skeletons, as a way of poking fun at Death and thinking affectionately of those who have passed away.  I've starting making nicho frames out of plaster wrap, and this is my first finished nicho.  It's a market scene. And who do we find in the market?  The Butterfly Seller, a recurring figure in my art.  She began her life in this post, and I really enjoy it anytime she makes a return visit.  I've found that some people have a strong negative reaction to Dias de los Muertos, so I apologize if you find this disturbing.  For me it really is a positive cultural celebration.  Your thoughts welcome as always!

13 comments:

Amy said...

I can't say that I am offended because I am ignorant to this cultural observance - having said that, I'm not one for all things skeleton like. I do like how you have used this celebration to create a meaningful piece of art, will you use it as seasonal decoration?

SarahLP said...

I think it's beautiful! The skeleton is not too scary and I love the plaster frame, the colours you've used and the tiny butterflies flying up from the Butterfly Seller.

Luna Art said...

Definately not disturbed by it, a wonderful piece of art to celebrate All souls day. I like the little butterfly seller and the three little pictures in different colours.

Sian said...

Well, I think it is a beautiful piece (and beautifully photographed) and I have learned something new too. Over here, people tend not to talk about death at all and that can be more disturbing.

Margi said...

I think Dias de los Muertos is an amazing celebration myself. And your Nicho is amazing, glad to see the Butterfly Seller is back!

humel said...

I'm not big on Hallowe'en or All Souls Day, but I always love your art :-)

Julie Shoemaker said...

Beautifully done Rinda. I like the idea of a plaster wrap. Happy holiday to you!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I've always found the Dios de los Muertos art interesting. It was a feature in catholic school growing up for All Souls & All Saints day

Mommy2CVC said...

Beautiful Rinda! I really like it! I love Dia de los Muertos and always celebrate it with making altars. I see it as a celebration and a way to connect and remember those that are no longer with us.

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Dia de los Muertos, but we always recognize All Saints Day in our church with a reading of everyone's name who has passed away during the last year. I don't find anything offensive at all in this piece. In fact, except for the skeleton it speaks of very positive emotions for me because of the bright color. I really love the three images at the top as well as the Butterfly Seller. I can safely say this is one of my all-time favorites!

sharyncarlson said...

What a beautiful piece, Rinda! I love the colors.

laurie said...

i love the vibrant colors and spirit of this piece!

cookcreateread said...

I don't know a lot about Dias de los Muertos, but from what you write I think it sounds like a great celebration! I love the colours you've used in this piece, and personally I love all things skeletonified! Great stuff!