Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The State of the Flock and Photography Musings

Meet the Rockers! We recently added four barred Plymouth Rock Hens. We got them partly because we lost one of the Buff Orpingtons to a raccoon attack over the winter. But we still have two Buffy's.
As well as Laverne, our leghorn chicken.
And we have two Ameraucanus chickens. 
The older chickens are all laying really well, and we expect the rockers to start early summer.
This month, I'm musing a bit on photography. One of the things I sometimes consider is whether I can make an artistic photograph in the chicken coop. Of these, I think the one of Laverne could qualify. I think it helps when the photo is technically good, and I like the crisp focus, dreamy depth of field, color story and composition. I also think an artistic photograph needs some power and emotion, and I think I see it in the portrait of Laverne. What do you think?

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Your chickens are beautiful. I often wish we could have some unusual breeds. I so love seeing them strut around. We have 32 thousand free range hens but all ordinary looking chooks. The disease risk of having a few of these around the yard would be far too great to our crop.
I often photograph our hens. Their plumage, colouring and posture can definitely be artistic. I love catching them in unusual places. In trees, drinking from troughs, in amongst the other animals... ..your beautiful hens would make fantastic artistic pics.

Linda said...

Love your chickens! I would love to keep chickens too:) I love your photo of Laverne, especially the depth of field and colours.

Cheri said...

Laverne looks like a chick you don't want to mess with. I also think the first photo of the Buffy is very artistic - in a softer way because the chicken itself has softer lines.

Barbara said...

You have some lovely chickens! I like the depth of field in the photo of Laverne, I agree that artistic photos need power and emotion, not always easy to portray.

Karen said...

Those are probably the best looking chickens I've ever seen, and Lavern is definitely a looker!

Kokopelli said...

Love your chickens! They grew well and look great.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great photos! We're getting some new hens in a couple of weeks, Wyandottes I think. We're down to only 4 hens.