Monday, February 27, 2012

Altered Blocks: Feb. Monthly Make, Part 1

When I was cleaning and organizing my craft space, I came across a good selection of wooden blocks. After seeing some of the cool blocks which Deb made, I decided to use my January counterfeit kit to make some altered blocks.  I know it's now the end of February, but I finally used my January counterfeit kit to make a block with a vintage friendship theme:
After getting the hang of it, I made this one with some more heritage photos from my collection:
I like this one better than the first one which I made.  Partly because I love the quote which I put on it (you can read it in the photo at the top of the post), but mostly because it just came together and seemed to flow. I really like having a single block which conveys a certain message. Tomorrow I'll feature a few more blocks, including one that is a set.
*******************************************************************
I made this as part of the "Monthly Make" challenge organized by the Felt Fairy.  To see a list of participants and their projects, check out this link.

18 comments:

furrypig said...

your block is gorgeous and a perfect quote xxx

Unknown said...

I love them and I love the quote you used! :)

Irene said...

I like these vintage blocks and your quote. Is that a picture of Aunt Carmen with the word "Story"? I remember her always wearing a pearl necklace.

scrappyjacky said...

These are wonderful,Rinda....I love the vintage feel to them....and a perfect quote. A great idea to use your own vintage photos as well.

Maria Ontiveros said...

You have a good eye Cuz. That's my Aunt Esther (my mom Carmen's sister). There's a strong family resemblance and they all loved jewelry.

Jimjams said...

Love that quote - and the block is brilliant!

laurie said...

these are such a great way to display those precious photos. i can imagine several lined up on a window sill or a mantle.

Amy said...

Yes! That quote is true, no matter how much we try and deny it!

Beverly said...

I've done blocks but would have never thought of using vintage photos, thanks for the inspiration ;)

helena said...

great colors to go with the vintage photos. that quote is so true !

Lizzie said...

What a fun way to display your family photos. The blocks would be very tempting, if you put them in a little pile on the mantlepiece or a shelf. People would want to pick them up and look.
I love how you've incorporated the words and the quote, to make the blocks tell stories.
And isn't it fun that someone from your family recognises the family resemblance between your mom and her sister - and has the memories about their jewellery?
I think this is a fab little project - more photos pleeeeease?

Cheri said...

What a cool project! And I really like the quote.

Karen said...

This is wonderful. I love the quote, the photos, the papers you chose---well, everything about it.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Love what you've done with the block, Rinda! Can't wait to see the next round.

And I had to laugh when I saw Carrie's comment above about liking the quote you used. At first I thought it was the one about quoting your mother, but then I realized there's another quote on the side that I'm sure she was referring to instead. ;o)

Sian said...

Oh yes. We certainly do. I hear myself do it all the time..

A really neat project!

Alison said...

Some days I'm sure I AM my mother! :)
Love your project!
Alison xx

Unknown said...

What a lovely different idea - it looks great.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

They look great! I love the quote & the papers you used