Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Paint Party Friday: Hopes and Dreams on Prayer Flags

I'm posting to Paint Party Friday on Thursday because Friday is the 10th, and I plan to participate in Shimelle's Ten on the Tenth meme. I'll link up on Friday, though, so you should find this on the right day. Thanks to everyone for their comments on last Friday's painting and input about prayer flags. I did more research, and you can read my post about it here (in case you didn't see it already).  Today's painting (art journal page) is drawn with oil pastels and painted with water colors (twinks). There's more prayer flags and houses and my face for Day 6 of the 29 faces challenge. 
The art journal page started with my Day 5 sketch, which incorporated an idea from Gina of Daydream Believer about how to incorporate faces into my art journaling. She suggested writing in long, flowing hair, and I came up with this:
I like way it morphed into a full blown art journal page. I find myself doing that more and more often lately - starting with a sketch and then building from there. Do you do that much?
*****************************************
For more of 29 faces, go to this link.
For more of paint party friday, check this out.

28 comments:

Amy said...

I like the idea of starting in one place and finding you end up on a different path through experimentation - excellent stuff!

scrappyjacky said...

I love the writing in the hair...it all flows so well.

Anonymous said...

I love the finished project; the expression on her face, the writing in the hair, the four little houses, the journaling. I often start with a sketch for a scrapbook page, and it ends up quite differently. This week I've stuck closer to the sketches. They just seemed to work out well.

GlorV1 said...

I like your journal pages. There is a lot of movement there. Nicely done Rinda. You've really been doing a lot of different things lately. I applaud you!

Sian said...

Your page has a wonderful "lightness" about it which I like very much

Carol said...

Great faces!!1 I borrowed the writing in the hair idea too. It's so cool!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the oil pastels and water colors together, and I LOVE the writing in her hair! <3

Melisa said...

The journaling in the hair is cool! I'll have to try that. I think you forgot to label this one 29 faces. It doesn't show up with the others.

debs14 said...

The effect of the writing in the hair is just so evocative. I love this post Rinda.

Daniele Valois said...

I adore her crooked smile!!!

Christine said...

cute face, cute painting!

Debbie said...

I like seeing the prayer flags again this week! Very sweet paintings.

Ayala Art said...

I like the faces ♥

Carolyn Dube said...

Wonderful! Really love how you balanced the composition!

Yvonne said...

I always love words in a piece of art.

EVA said...

So nice how you incorporated all the elements into this cute page.

SHERI COOK said...

I like the idea of words flowing through moving hair. This makes me want to try it with my horse art!
Thanks for sharing.
Happy PPF!
Sheri Cook
HAPPY HORSE STUDIO

Annabelle said...

Words and pictures combined touch all the senses.Beautiful work.

Tammie Lee said...

such a sweet piece~

Alison said...

Love how it ended up!
Alison xx

carlarey said...

I really love the idea of a long banner of fluttering flags of hopes and dreams. Nice work incorporating all your ideas into a single journal page.

Nordljus said...

Lovely journal page, I really like the writing in her hair, and her expression! Happy PPF!

Alicia C said...

fun interaction of the prayer flags! Love the hair writing!

DVArtist said...

Wonderful and fun pages. Great art.
Nicole/Beadwright

Alexandra MacVean said...

I love your piece. Love the prayer flags and the writing in her hair. :)

Carola Bartz said...

How beautiful, Rinda. I love to start at a certain point and then end up somewhere else, like you did with your sketch turn into art journal page. I like the writing in the hair.

A'n'G Johnson said...

absolutely lovely! and now I need to go read your posts about prayer flags as I am always drawn to them.

*jean* said...

she is so sweet, rinda, happy PPF!