Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jeweley or Camera: What's a Girl to Do?

Regular blog readers will know that, as part of my one little word for 2012 ("home"), I've been organizing and decluttering my house - room by room. One project that resulted from this was a need to organize my jewelry, repair some damaged pieces and refurbish others.  In particular, I had three loose stones (a diamond from my original engagement ring and two emeralds from my Uncle) which I wanted to have made into a new piece of jewelry. Working with a local jeweler, we found this ring design, which I really like and which will fit my stones perfectly. But then things went a little sideways. They quoted me a new price, which was about 10% higher than the original one. They gave some explanation, but it just didn't feel right to me. So, I walked away from the arrangement.  My husband has offered to talk to a different jeweler (the new ring is a combination birthday/valentine's day present).  Alternately, it looks like I could get a new camera for about the same price - the Nikon D5100, to be precise.
He correctly points out that I've been talking about a new camera for quite a while, as I've outgrown my Nikon D50.  And the D5100 would fit me perfectly.
So, what do you think? Jewelry or camera? What's a girl to do?
**********************************************************************
Weekly 2012 one little word check in.  This week,
1. I organized the tall cupboards in the kitchen, which hold our liquor, stemware, cookbooks, table linens and appliances.  The most interesting things I threw away were half a bag of birdseed (no idea where that came from!) and four different editions of Robert Parker's Wine Guides.  Also got rid of a never-used pasta maker.
2. Paul pruned the fruit trees. I had tried to call several different tree guys but that didn't work. So, Paul did them. Although it wasn't me, I still feel like it was an accomplishment. Similarly,
3. Paul organized the spice cabinet.  He threw away things that expired last decade! Although I didn't do it, the task is still done. And I know he's been inspired by my efforts. So I'm adding it to my list.

17 comments:

Melissa said...

I vote for the camera because you'll still have the stones & can still have a piece of jewelry made later. The camera could be used immediately to preserve new memories!

laurie said...

the ring is beautiful but i think you will enjoy the camera more. though choice, tho!

Mary B said...

Oh Rinda that is a real dilemma I wouldn't know which to choose. I really would want both
Pros and cons
Camera you would get more use out of
Ring would be a thing of beauty for the rest of your life
camera is much more practical
Ring is more likely to increase in value
they weigh each other out.

Karen said...

Not a choice I'd want to make! I guess I'd go to the pro and con list for each and see what emerges once you write it all out.

Amy said...

lalalalalalalaaa, can't decide, can't decide ... this is one of life's more difficult questions if you ask me!

Cheri said...

What a pickle! I LOVE the ring design and would definitely seek out the advice of a few other jewelers. But oh how tempting the camera would be.... Choose the one that makes your heart sing.

Anonymous said...

For me it would have to be the ring. I have a 'bridge' camera which I rarely use so a more complicated camera would be wasted on me but that beautiful ring I would wear every day and look at it and remember that it was bought for me as a symbol of my husband's love.

becky ruppel said...

I usually say "it's not the camera it's the photographer" but given the technology jump you will be taking between cameras, I vote for the camera. It will be instant gratification.
But then again I don't wear jewelry...

Olive said...

If it was my choice I'd go with the camera. But that ring would look really nice on the hand that's holding the new camera!!!!!

JO SOWERBY said...

part exchange the old camera for the new one then sell some of ur excess belongings on ebay or the us equivalent to help add the extra money for the ring
jo xxx

Irene said...

The camera is still in good working condition and it sounds like your husband wants to do this for you since he offered to talk to another jeweler. I would choose the ring to make him happy. Let us know what you decide.

Unknown said...

Ohh...I'd pick the camera, but that is a pretty good dillema to have if you ask me! :)

Alison said...

I'm just glad it's not my decision...though to be honest I'd probably go for the ring!
Alison xx

Unknown said...

Decisions, decisions, not an easy one to make as either would be good.

Beverly said...

ohhhhhhhh this is a toughie I agree. First, I LOVE the setting and design for the ring and I can easily visualize it with the diamond and emeralds. It will be gorgeous. But the camera would be awesome if you have outgrown the one you have now. how high on your list is your photography in the scheme of your art this year? Are you outgrowing the current one or have you outgrown it? In the end I'd go for the ring but I am going through a very emotional time and know it's something that would mean more to my heart.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

eenie-meenie-minee-mo... Camera!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I vote camera! But I am not a jewelry person. I've been saving up for a D3100 or D5100, whichever has the better deal at the time, so that would be my choice even if I was a jewelry person.