Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February Self-Portrait: Write On

The February theme for the "In the Picture" self portrait challenge is "Write On."  I took a picture of my hand holding one of the butterflies I created for Deb's butterfly project, remembering children who perished in the holocaust. The writing on the butterfly says "to honor and remember." I chose to feature the butterfly in my self-portrait because it it is a reflection of me in so many ways - it's my artwork and very true to my style.  It includes photographs of children from Houston (my Aunt and Uncle) and it will be going to a museum installation in Houston. I love the full circle feeling of that. Finally, my father liberated a concentration camp in World War II. His account was chilling and has always stuck with me.  It's a self-portrait because it includes my hand. But it's also a self-portrait because it includes my heart and soul.
*********************************
For other self-portraits, check out this link.

19 comments:

Amy said...

Beautiful, and perfectly appropriate!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post and a gorgeous butterfly. You have reminded me that I must get on and make mine.

scrappyjacky said...

A perfect representation of you,Rinda.

Lizzie said...

That's a great idea, Rinda and a lovely butterfly also.
"Self portrait because it includes my hand and my heart and soul". Yes.

helena said...

so powerful. a great example of the breadth that is covered by 'self portrait'

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

So many things I love about this post, Rinda! The awesome butterfly (which I have now had the pleasure of admiring in person), the history behind your photos, and also your beautiful words written in this post. Well done, friend!

Alison said...

Perfect post Rinda!
Alison xx

Karen said...

Beautiful post, Rinda!

Jo Murray said...

A meaningful response to the challenge,,, well done.

Carola Bartz said...

A very unusual and beautiful way to do a self-portrait. Beautiful because, as you said, it includes your heart and soul - and shouldn't that always be in a self-portrait?

Catherine Denton said...

How touching and sad. Thank you for sharing this.
Catherine Denton

Zena said...

So touching and precious

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

This is so wonderfully done!

pink sheep said...

beautiful photo, artwork, & post...thank you so much for sharing with us!

georgia b. said...

how cool. i like that your s.p. has a lot of depth and meaning behind it... and that you shared what it was.

love the art, too!... for the same reason.

urban muser said...

a beautiful shot that says so much about you. thanks so much for linking up at {in the picture} this month!

shirley said...

wow, a wonderful selfie that completely represents you - beautiful!

gina said...

Lovely artwork and with so much meaning for you! The butterfly project sounds like a wonderful way to honor those who perished in the holocaust.

JO SOWERBY said...

such a beautiful idea and a lovely quote at the end,
jo xxx