Tuesday, February 7, 2012

pink butterfly

My dear friend Deb of Paper Turtle is hosting a gathering of butterflies for The Butterfly Project, a remembrance of the children who perished in the holocaust. You can read Deb's post here. Deb's plan is to gather 51 butterflies by May 1. I'm making two butterflies - one in pink and one in blue. Here's the pink one. It's made of corrugated paper, decorated with flowers on the top.
And stamps on the bottom. Deb's butterfly was made of fabric, but I am not a seamstress! So, I chose this sturdy paper and doubled it for good measure. My other butterfly is being made out of plaster. I'll be sure to post it when it's done.
I hope you decide to join in the butterfly project. It's destined to be one of those amazing blog happenings. I can just tell. The serendipity became apparent to me when I read the comment from my cousin Irene (in Houston, Texas) that she works down the street from the Holocaust Museum and will definitely be participating.  I wonder if she will be able to make a stain glass butterfly (that's her media of choice) or if that won't work for the display.  Will you be participating in the project? What will you make your butterfly out of?

11 comments:

Amy said...

We are planning to contribute as well, but I am not sure what medium we will use yet.

Anonymous said...

I love your pink butterfly Rinda. I plan to make a butterfly or two at the weekend.

Alison said...

I think I may use vellum and card for mine..your pink one is very pretty-and you are very organised, having one done already!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

I'm definately joining in....but not quite sure how I'm making it yet....but possibly in felt.

Cheri said...

No doubt about joining in. But the how currently remains a mystery.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Wow! That was quick. Thank you so much, Rinda! I love your pink butterfly and just knew you'd come up with something wonderful.

Thank you for helping to spread the word about this project as well. And I had no idea that Irene was your cousin. Cool!

Marti said...

This is a marvelous idea and your butterfly will certainly be a beautiful adddition to the cause! Thanks for your support not only for the museum, but also for Deb as she works toward collecting 51 by her 51st b-day! Can't wait to see your next butterfly!

Marti--mom to Deb@Paper Turtle

Sian said...

Wow, you are fast! I better get a move on with mine..

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I'm crocheting one

The Mann Fam said...

What a great post. I can feel your enthusiasm for the project and cause. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on this one. My off work hours and energy run out too quickly. I don't know how you do it. You're amazing.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sian: that was quick! I'm still mulling things around for my project!