Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Faces 9, 10, 11 and Some Reflection

I'm somewhere between a third and half way through the 29 faces challenge, and I've learned a few things. Let me know if any resonate with you.
1. I can draw a basic face now. It doesn't scare me, and I could confidently add a face to an art journaling page or card or mail art envelope if I wanted to.
2. I'm getting the hang of eyes, but mouths still elude me.
3. Using more than one media or color creates a more satisfying end result.  Even if I start with oil pastels (Sybil) or acrylics (overworked), it helps A LOT to add pen, pencil or marker to add definition.
4. I'm getting to the point where I want to create more than just the face - adding bodies, clothes and the scene will probably be the focus for the next part of this project.
5. I'm not sure I've found my "style." I really like the water color faces (like I did yesterday) but I don't see those working into my larger mixed media pieces. The faces from today seem more likely to be useful in that regard. Although I could see the water color faces on cards.
6. It's hard for me to stick with a project past the two week mark.
7. Joining a blog challenge is a great way to meet all kinds of new blog friends! I've discovered some wonderful new blogs and artists through the challenge.  I'm off to visit some of them now. If you want to see them, check out the tags at this post.
**************************************************
OLW Weekly Check-In:
This week, I cleaned out the laundry room, which also meant I organized the china buffet and display case. Tossed out two big bags of garbage and came up with one more bag of stuff to donate.

14 comments:

Cheri said...

I also have a hard time sticking with a project unless I'm really jazzed by it. Keep going - you'll find your style!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Sometimes by joining a challenge it commits us to stay with a project that otherwise we might lose the motivation.
I am sure your style will come to you.
Wishes
Lynne

Sian said...

I'm fascinated by your drawing journey, given that I can't draw at all. keep it up!

scrappyjacky said...

I can't draw at all either....and certainly not a face...so am enjoying seeing how your faces are developing....I'm sure you will settle into a style.

Anonymous said...

Another no-drawer here. I especially like the Sisters drawing.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

The faces look great!

Amy said...

Number six, yes, that one resonates with me .. loud and clear!

Anonymous said...

I love the group of faces, it really has style.

Carola Bartz said...

Another great group of faces! I see that you also did one on book paper - where did you get that book page? It's still in the old German print - I have been looking for those! I'm still able to read that.
During this challenge I also feel a growing confidence in drawing/painting faces. I love charcoal, but like you I also like a good mix of different media. For example, if I do charcoal I like to add some color either with pastels or watercolor. Watercolor pencils work great. I don't think I have found my own style yet, but I certainly love the "roundheads" that evolved recently.
Two more weeks - we can do it!

Jimjams said...

Love the Sisters group - you are definitely putting more of you into these faces - great results

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

These are great, Rinda. I love that you drew Sybil on a book page. ;o) I thought of you the other day as I was drawing faces on some dolls to paint - you'll see them on my blog this weekend. I could have used your help with the eyes, but I think I did ok in the end.

Unknown said...

You seem to be having a great time then...this challenge has made me focus on completing a face...some days a couple faces. I really enjoy drawing! Love all your work... whimsical!

Pam

Melissa said...

I like how you are using different products and pages to draw your faces. You're doing a great job - keep going, keep going!

An'Angelia Thompson said...

I enjoyed looking at all of your colorful faces, Rinda! I love "Run with the big dogs" and your green queen.