Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Something from Nothing Album Complete + Transparencies

I finally finished up my album from Shimelle's "Something from (almost) Nothing" class.  I'm pretty happy with it, especially because I didn't buy a single thing to complete it! I even had this acrylic album front (with corresponding bookboard back that I covered in dragonfly paper), a stack of 6x6 pages and 6x6 page protectors.  The final prompt was to use transparencies.  I had two 12x12 transparencies featuring birds and vines (one in white and one in black), and I used them to finish up the album.  I put one behind the acrylic cover (above) and wrote my signature on the transparency.
I used the black transparency to make a complete page in the middle of the album.  Here's the front (remember, you can always click to enlarge any image):
Since my album contains favorite photos, I decided to use a self portrait (it's my reflection in a  mirrored picture frame in the L'Orangerie Art Museum in Paris.  I added some camera eyelets and a quote by Aaron Siskind: "photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever . . . it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything."  The light orange paper on the background is actually paper on the back side of the transparency.  Here the back of the transparency in the album:
I put in a picture of our seasonal bowl filled with ducks, which is what DD Clara put in there in January (don't ask me why). I decorated the page with ribbon, flowers, hearts punched out of patterned paper and brads.  Finally, I used the rest of the white transparency (and one more camera eyelet) on a simple page which is the last page of the album. It's my first (and still one of my favorites) self-portraits:


Come back tomorrow for the altered house tutorial.  You can see how I transformed this pile of material into the beach shack below.



17 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, your album has turned out so beautifully - it's a great self-portrait as well!

debs14 said...

Great album, and I love the way you have incorporated a self portrait into it. It's been a good project hasn't it? I really enjoyed doing it.
Looking forward to our tutorial ...

scrappyjacky said...

The album has worked so well....love the self portrait.Looking forward to the tutorial...the beach hut looks great.

Cherry said...

That album is stunning Rinda - gorgeous self-portrait. My lovely envelope arrived safely this morning - love youe shack and can't wait for the tutorial. I'm saving looking in my envelope until I have finished the cleaning as a reward! Hugs Cherry XXX

sharyncarlson said...

I love how your album turned out. The transparency on the front cover is the perfect touch and I love how the bird is almost peaking out from the vines.

humel said...

Your album looks amazing, Rinda! :-) I'm a bit gutted that going away broke my creative streak during class, I haven't done anything with the last few prompts or even begun my Celebrate Life album.... (Not that I'd have missed my trip, obviously!!)

The beach hut looks great too, looking forward to the tutorial x

Anonymous said...

I love the acrylic albums, and the cover of yours is wonderful. I also love that photography quote. It's one I didn't know and I've copied it down for future use. When I see folks' completed albums I wish I had done one, but it wasn't in the cards for this year. That's a great self-portrait by the way! Looking forward to tomorrow's tutorial.

Ann said...

Your album turned out beautifully!

Sian said...

It looks fantastic! That transparency at the front is the perfect touch. I know I've said this before; but I would love to be able to browse through some of your work irl :)

Your envelope arrived today! Thank you so much. It put a smile back on my face after a stress-out morning. I'm going to save working on it until I've seen your tutorial though!

Elizabeth said...

Rinda, it's a beautiful album. I think the front with the vines and birds is beautiful. Good job in using only your stash. You should be very proud of it.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Wonderful job on the album!

MonicaB said...

Wow your album is stunning! I really love the cover.

Capescrapper said...

Rinda, great use of the BOAF transparencies! Excellent idea!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Your album looks fabulous, Rinda!!! I still need to sit down and put mine together ~ you have inspired me!!!

Lizzie said...

That's a lovely album - and very much in "Rinda's Style"! The transparency cover and page really add an extra bit of "zing" to it.

Just to let you know that my House envelope arrived today - along with the lovely giveaway prize Card too - thank you! I already have an idea for my "house". Can't wait to see your tutorial... maybe I'll have even more ideas after that!

I may have missed something, but what are we supposed to do with the houses? Are we meant to send them back to you,keep them, or send them on to someone else? Duh...
Yours "always-the-last-to-catch-on" Lizzie!

Ruth said...

what a beautiful album and the little house looks very interesting...

Kimberlee said...

I'm a sucker for the whole transparency thing. Very cool.