Saturday, April 24, 2010

Banksy and Street Art

Troy Holden of the Caliber SF website took this fabulous photo above.  It's in Chinatown in San Francisco, and if I wasn't so busy, I'd go looking for it. It's exactly the type of  street art that I like to photograph and use on collage sheets.  Doing a little more investigation, I found out that the art is likely done by an artist known as Banksy.  You can check out his art at his website here.  In particular, look in his "shop." It's awesome!  I think this image is my favorite:
There's also a film that's coming out about Banksy and Street Art called "Exit through the Gift Shop."  If you go to this website, you 'll see a schedule of where it's playing and a youtube trailer in the lower right hand corner.  Click on it and be amused.  For more about Banksy, you can go to this extensive wikipedia entry.
You can check out many art pieces I've made using photographs I took of street art in Paris at this blog post.
I really do need to get out and take some more pictures to make some new collage sheets.  I'm feeling a little bored with my current collection!

5 comments:

Sian said...

Ha! Now when I wanted to do a post about Banksy at Christmas, my brother (who used to be at UCLA, now at Yale) said no one Stateside would know what I was talking about! I think Banksy is brilliant, and you have chosen one of my favourites here too.

scrappyjacky said...

Also a big Banksy fan....and found the Wikipedia read fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I had never heard of Banksy, but a visit to his blog was a fun excursion, and you've chosen my favorite image.

debs14 said...

I love Banksy's art! Such a clever artist. There was an exhibition of his work at the Tate gallery in London last year and I can't believe I missed it.
Thanks for blogging about him !

humel said...

It does look Banksy :-) Love his stuff! So glad you're spreading the word over the Atlantic xx