Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Zoom in < Zoom Out #1: Tidepools (and photo plans for 2014)

Throughout 2013, I participated in Helena's weekly photography meme look up//look down. You can see all my photos in that meme by clicking on this link. It was the first time I was able to actually complete a year-long blog project. I usually lose steam after about a month. But I found it an easy meme to complete and several times during the year found myself grateful for the regularity it gave to my blog. For 2014, Helena has decided to continue her weekly meme with the theme of "zoom in zoom out."  And I'm really excited about playing along. So, on Sunday when friends invited us to go visit the local tide pools, I thought it was a good opportunity to find my first pairing. Helena's firs pairing of the year is here.
I started by zooming out to capture a wide angle of the tidal area:
As we wandered about the tide pools, I took a variety of photographs for my zoom in. And finally settled on this close up of a sea anemone:
I'm looking forward to the different ways of approaching the zoom in < zoom out idea. Will you be joining in? 
Do you have other photography plans for 2014? I'm starting the year with the free class Frugal Still Life Photography with Cheryl McCain.  That's the only photography class on my agenda, but I have a few others that I have purchased and never completed, so I may revisit those as well. I'm interested in what others are planning for 2014.

13 comments:

helena said...

what a fabulous start to zoom in and out and I love your selfie. The tidal pools look fascinating

Eileen T said...

I've signed up for the Frugal Still Life Photography course as well. I'm starting a photo a day themed on my garden and also trying Lucky's 7 in 2014.

I followed your look up/look down photos with interest and may consider joining in with the zoom in/zoom out idea.

Happy New Year to you and all your family xx

scrappyjacky said...

Wonderful photos....sounds like an interesting new meme.
I've still got quite a few papercraft classes that need finishing.....and I want to do a lot more sewing this year.

Sian said...

What a great start to the New Year..something about tides and rock pools seems just right.

photography plans? I've upgraded my iphone, so I can see me going back to have more fun with phone photgraphy

Karen said...

I didn't join in with Look Up, Look Down, but I think I'll give Zoom In, Zoom Out a try. Off to check Helena's blog. I've been giving my photography goals a lot of thought during my visit with Sarah, and will be posting about them in the near future. I finished 52/50 which I loved and need to post those final shots as well. I'm also signed up for the Still Life class, but won't be able to do too much until we get home in mid-January.

Cheri said...

I'm also signed up for the Still Life class and for a seminar today on Katrina Kennedy's site about a 365 project. I really hope to improve my skills this year!

Jimjams said...

Super pairing and thanks for pointing me in the direction of ZIZO - I wanted a new meme for the year - I hope I can do as well as you did with LULD.

Happy New Year x

sky-blu-pink said...

Wonderful shots, i loved your 'look up, look down' photos, so will really enjoy your new angle of looking at the evryday and the unusual.

Anonymous said...

What a great pair and start to this year's meme. I'll be joining in but know there will be a few weeks that I'll miss but maybe can catch up when we return.

Missus Wookie said...

I like the idea of zoom in < zoom out - I'll see how I do :)

Melissa said...

Great shots Rinda! I'm planning to join in this year with Zoom In/Zoom Out - I doubt I'll do a weekly post, but am hoping to at least regularly contribute. I have my first set of photos ready to post.

I'm also doing Cheryl's class!

~*~Patty S said...

Golly that sea anemone is AMAZING!...fab photo Rinda!!!
oxo

Nathalie said...

Your anemone close ups are fantastic!!! I am going to look into this meme and into the class you mentioned, they both sounds interesting!