Monday, December 9, 2013

Dec. Daily: Snow Day!

Here's a page from my December Daily album that is a little different.  First, it's not about what we're doing here at home. Instead, it captures a very special story for Henry, even though he's 350 miles away at college. When I woke up this morning, I had a text from him which consisted of this photo:
The journaling on my page reads: "On December 6, Henry woke up to snow in Eugene, Oregon! It's a fairly rare occurrence, so the entire campus celebrated. Henry went to a football player vs. student snowball fight and played a little snow soccer. We've had record lows here, but nothing compared to Henry's snow day." And here's another picture I pulled off facebook:
My boy is wearing #16, standing second from the left and rather sensibly dressed!
The other thing that's a little different about the page is that it's out of order. I recorded the journaling on an undated miscellaneous page between Dec. 3 and Dec. 4. But that's just fine. Ali Edwards mentioned on her blog that she doesn't stress about matching the stories up with the exact dates because each story is a part of her December story. And that really spoke to me. I'm happy to capture this story, even if I didn't experience it and even if it's technically out of order because it's part of our family's December story. And now it will always be recorded in my December Daily.
How much flexibility do you allow yourself in your December album?

19 comments:

debs14 said...

What a fabulous post!

Irene said...

The silliness of youth and college life. LOL

helena said...

the happiness radiating from that group is infectious

Linda said...

What fun! Looks like Henry is having a fab time at college!

Ladkyis said...

I am not doing a december Daily or Journalling my Christmas this year but I am kind of keeping a journal of my December. You ask how flexible I am, well, I think that anything that impinges on your life in December should go into your record. It doesn't matter if you tell the story several days after it happened because that's how you choose to record your December. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the challenge that we forget who it is for - US and no one else.
I love the pictures.

Cheri said...

Silly boys! Shirtless (and pantless) in the snow is way braver than I'd ever be. I'm not doing DD or JYC this year. Instead I bought the Christmas edition Smash album and am just sticking things and pictures in there as I'm moved to do so. The album itself already has all the decoration/embellishment needed, so it is a totally stress-free way for me to participate. And it doesn't matter to me if I miss days, put in bunches of stuff on a single day, go out of order - it's all good!

Sian said...

Great fun! It made me throw back my head and laugh, because one of the recurring themes here this term has been how much colder it is in Scotland than here. We have been posting thermal underwear and socks, partly as a bit of a joke and partly because he actually needs it!

scrappyjacky said...

Great photos,Rinda....and I'm assuming snow has been pretty much of a rarity in Henry's life. I think it's a perfect entry in your journal...and will be great to look back on in future years.

Anne said...

What a great experience for Henry to find snow on the campus! When I was a child I saw snow only once in the South of France. I was 6 years old and it was probably only 1 centimeter snow maximum, but it was such a big event I never forgot it. I bet your boy won't either ! xxx

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I'm glad to see that your boy had the good sense to keep his clothes on! That first picture conjures up Narnia for me.

Amy said...

I love the diversity you have this year with Henry being away!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Looks like he had a lot of fun.

I just view December as the month as a whole and don't worry about dates. We had two snow days this week but they end up as a random page about snow.

The Dolphin Inn said...

I am creating a december daily album also, not as organised as you though sadly so no completed page to show yet, good for your son having sensible WARM clothes on lol, all the other made me shiver !!! xxx

Anonymous said...

Was that the first time he's seen snow? I like how he is dressed, can't believe how some kids dress in the cold and snow. :)

Beverly said...

The first photo is beautiful but as the mama of boys the 2nd one fills my heart with joy. I love how happy and young they are and that life is full of unexpected adventure. Thanks so much for sharing Henry's December day with us, it has put a huge smile on my face. I don't do any of the prescribed December albums and am totally of the mindset of that if it touches you in some way it's all good :)

Melissa said...

I really like that you included this story & it definitely doesn't matter if it's in order or not!

Miriam said...

What a great set of pictures, perfect for any part of your month.

The Mann Fam said...

I've been been staying away from computers, other than work, so I use what little time I have after work hours to enjoy the season and prepare for Christmas. Sneaking a bit of time to stop by a couple of my favorite blogs. Love seeing that you're doing December daily. I'm doing something for December that is a little different that I will post about after Christmas.

Missus Wookie said...

That second photo made me laugh - isn't FB wonderful for stealing photos? I don't worry too much about order when I do create a DD either.