Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Photo Heart Connection: The Blessings of Cross Country

The end of the month brings the opportunity to participate in Kat's Photo Heart Connection by going through my photographs and choosing the one which strikes the deepest chord in my heart. This month, I have two contenders, both from Clara's cross country season.
"Coaching Clara"
I have to admit that one reason this photograph is on my short list is because I really like the composition and lighting. But there's more than the technical here. I love how it captures a real moment. Clara with her Coach; the other girls practicing their run-outs. It's unposed. It's real. And then there's the emotional connection. Coach Farnz trying to reach into Clara's soul to calm her down, to reassure her that she can do this, to run fast, run for fun. Their relationship has been a bit fraught, but in this moment, there's an undeniable connection. Caught on camera and frozen in time.
"My All-League Girl"
And then there's this photograph. It's a perfectly serviceable, posed shot of the seven runners from our team who earned all-league honors by finishing in the top 15 at the league championship meet. But every time I look at it, my heart sings. I am so happy to see Clara with this group of shiny, happy, high-achieving kids. And not just with them - she's part of them. When I look at this photograph, I see her realizing her potential. I see a bright, shiny future for my all-league girl, and I marvel at the power of a photograph to make me smile so broadly.
*********************************************************************************
These photographs are offered as my contribution to Photo-Heart Connection.
To see the other offerings this month, go to this link.
And, let me know, which photo do you think should be my final choice?

17 comments:

Amy said...

I am loving seeing Clara doing so well this year - just wonderful!

alexa said...

Both of these are so heart-warming! It is lovely to see Clara doing so well, and to read the relief and pride in your voice inbetween the lines.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

These are both really great photos, Rinda. When I saw the first one in my reader I was instantly drawn in. The way Clara's coach is holding her hands and looking directly into her eyes - you really get a sense for how much it means to him for her to believe in herself and do well. Really great photos!

Cheri said...

I can see why it would be difficult to choose between these photos. Both are awesome. Also appears from the body language that Clara really likes the young man she is standing next to!

Karen said...

What wonderful photos--both are remarkable, and say so much about Clara's achievements and your joy!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

That first shot is a very special capture.

scrappyjacky said...

I love both the photos,Rinda....it's wonderful to see how Clara has matured and come into her own this year.

debs14 said...

That first photo especially tells a whole story of its own. Well done Clara!

Jo Murray said...

Congratulations to Clara...and to you for capturing the moment.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Clara!!!!!! SOOOO glad that she's found her place!!!

Mariana

Melissa said...

Wow, that's a tough choice as both of these are great photos & have so much meaning attached to them! I like the one with the coach best, I think . . . maybe it's the mentoring I've done with teens over the last few years or something that it speaks to me.

joy said...

It's all been said by the above commenters, great "heart" photos, and well done Clara. x x x

Lou said...

i can see why these photo are your favourites x

seabluelee said...

Wow, I can see why you would find it hard to choose. Simply based on the photos themselves, not knowing any of the people involved, I'd pick the first one for the human story I see in it. Either way...they're both great Photo-Heart Connections.

Anonymous said...

Definitely hard to choose between the two of them. So great to see how well she has done this year. Congrats Clara.

Missus Wookie said...

I like both photos but that first one just tells a story.

Miriam said...

These are both such a beautiful Photo Heart Connection. I can 'hear' the pride in your written word.