Sunday, December 29, 2013

Re-learning to enjoy the holidays

I had a really lovely holiday this year. Leading up to Christmas week, I did a little crafting and getting ready. I took photos to document things for my December Daily album and made plans for what the finished project will look like. During Christmas week, I spent time shopping with my boy home from college, going to parties with friends here on the Coastside, and enjoying a wonderful family outing to the tree farm. We then we drove to Southern California to visit extended family. Now we're back home for one of my favorite weeks - the quiet time between Christmas and New Year's. . . a week to clean and plan and rest and rejuvenate.  
Although I really enjoyed the holidays this year, it wasn't clear to me that I would. Because earlier this month, everything about the holidays reminded me of how I spent the holidays last year. . .  which was with a very sick husband, stressed children and myself just barely holding on. So, I retreated to my art journal and dealt with the ghost of Christmas past:
And that's exactly what I needed to clear the cob webs, to allow myself to enjoy myself and to re-learn to enjoy the holidays. The power of art never ceases to amaze me!
I have lots of photos to share this week of my holidays and thoughts and plans for the new year. But first, off to visit your blogs. I hope you had a wonderful holiday, too!

13 comments:

debs14 said...

What a difference 12 months can make. I'm so pleased that this year was so much better than the last one. I do hope that 2014 will be a good year for you and your family.

Jen said...

Oh yes Rinda - a year can make such a difference. Sending very good wishes for 2014. J x

Karen said...

It's so gratifying that this year has brought such wonderful changes to you and your family! Glad you had a happy holiday!

Annie Claxton said...

I'm so glad you had a better time this year - and found a little time for some creative therapy, it's always good for the soul in my book. Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy 2014 :o)xxx

Mommy2CVC said...

Glad you were able to find your happy place this Christmas season! It was so good to see you, Paul, Henry and Clara! Happy Anniversary with many more to come!!

Beverly said...

So glad that the joy that was missing last year was back in full force for all of you this year. I would think it was even sweeter than those past. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Becky said...

I am so pleased that this year was better than last year and that you were able to relax and enjoy yourself over the Christmas period. Happy New Year to you and the family!

Missus Wookie said...

Art does that for me and I'm always so grateful. Glad it helped you and that you were able to enjoy these holidays.

Melissa said...

So glad the art helped you reclaim the spirit of the season!

Irene said...

Glad you found the spirit of the season. Enjoy your family time.

Anonymous said...

So glad your art enabled you to enjoy the season and so glad the difference a year has made.

sky-blu-pink said...

Lovely creations, anything with birds is a winner with me!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh gosh yes, what a difference a year makes! I'm SO happy to know that this year was filled with happy times for you, Rinda!

PS: LOVE the new profile pic! xo