Friday, January 15, 2010

Motifs and Symbols - Finding Your Style


I've blogged before about wanting to figure out my signature style.  There are some interesting discussions in the blog post and comments here and here.  In considering my style, I realized that there are certain motifs that call to me, as well as certain symbols that I use repetitively.  Recently, I have found myself drawn to a simple house shape as a motif.  It showed up in this "horizon" page, as well as the simple plaster card at left.  I think of my house as a motif, rather than a symbol, because I don't think of the house as representing anything in particular.  It's just a shape or image that calls to me right now.  I'm working on some other pieces with a similar motif to share this weekend.  Are there certain motifs that call to you and that you return to in your scrapbook pages, cards or artwork?

9 comments:

Margi said...

Hearts! I don't know what it is, I don't go out of my way to find them but anything heart shaped always draws my attention especially if done in a folk artsy way!

Heather said...

I love stars - even starfish have to be in on the fun!!

Amy said...

Probably angular shapes would be the closest I could think of at the moment.

helena said...

I'd say I'm drawn to alpha related shapes like brackets & @ ?

I need to look throuhg my albums and stash to see if there is another shape that I use a lot but hadn't noticed - interesting prompt

Sian said...

Houses for me too! But then my life revolves around our home..I don't think I realised how much it did until I started to scrapbook.

humel said...

That is interesting - I'd have to think about it.... But I definitely like strips (of ribbon, paper, card). Not exactly a motif but possibly the closest I can get for now! Thought-provoking post, thank you :-)

scrappyjacky said...

hmmmm....not really sure that there's any particular motif I'm drawn to....though I do love snowflakes and use them a lot....even when I'm fed up with snow!!

JO SOWERBY said...

i love ribbon and swirly shapes eg flourishes. at the moment though i am collecting anything with an owl on it so watch out for somemore owl goodness appearing on my pages!!
Jo xxx

Sonja said...

Swirls! Swirls! Swirls! I adore swirls! I love flowy shapes.