Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to Work ("Anna's Work" mixed media collage)


It's Monday, and the start of another work week. How do you feel about work?  I have to admit that I'm conflicted.  I love my job (I'm a law professor - surprise!). It's incredibly rewarding and flexible.  But I wish I had more free time.  I study and write about the world of work, and, while that world can be harsh and abusive to many, it can also provide a road to advancement and personal fulfillment. This piece, "Anna's Work," is dedicated to Anna Escobedo Cabral.  She was the Treasurer of the United States under President Geroge Bush.  She has an amazing and interesting life story, which you can read here.  That's her signature on the waistband of the dress (Yes, I really did tear up a real $1 bill).  She is the very smart daughter or Mexican immigrants in Southern California.  When she finished high school, she was simply going to go to work to help support her family, but one teacher convinced her to go to college and helped her apply.  Although clearly capable in the world of business, she repeatedly put her career on hold to help her family and support her husband. Eventually, she became the highest ranking Latina in the Bush Administration. I bet our politics are very different, but I admire her.  I also willing to bet that she has conflicted ideas about the world of work, too!

11 comments:

helena said...

love the colours and sentiment.

having read your blog for several months I think you will find this story funny. My 17 year old nephew was looking at the photo ATCs I made, pointed to the one with 'bring me that horizon' and said 'Aunty H why have you got the name of a thrash band on your card'. Turns out there is a metal band called bring me the horizon. Jsut shows how widely that idea appeals.

Sian said...

Wow, you must be one busy lady Rinda..that's a demanding job and you find time to create and blog too. My son has his heart set on doing law so that's quite a few years of schooling still to go!

Lizzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
debs14 said...

Fascinating to hear what you do in your life outside of art, how talented you are!
My son is in his 2nd year of a politics degree, I shall tell him that I expect him to find his artistic side when he is finished!
Such an interesting blog.

Lizzie said...

You certainly are busy, to do your work, care for your family and still fit in all the wonderful art-work that you do!
The collage is great. I love how you use inspiration from all over, then produce such colourful and thoughtful work from it.

Just to add, I love the tags you sent me. They are in the "keep safe" folder, with the other art I have been collecting recently. Soon it will all be mounted and framed, then used to brighten the wall of my new workroom. Your tags will be a lovely splash of colour!
Thank you!

scrappyjacky said...

Feel a bit like you about work...really enjoy teaching courses [and it's only part time]...but wish I had more crafting/gardening time.
Love the colours you've used on this piece....so vibrant....and a very interesting lady.

The Scrappy Tree said...

Wow, brainy and creative - what a lady!! Love that page :)

Amy said...

Rinda, what I love the most about your blog is your ability to make me think - I know it may only be in a small way but, most of your posts are thought provoking as well as lovely visual candy!
It seems to me you use your own inspiration from women of strength to become an inspiration to other woman and most imporatantly to your children.
Have a great week at work!

humel said...

Another stunning work, Rinda :-)

Workwise, I'm very fortunate that while I do love my job (teaching) I only need to do it part-time - thus giving me time to create and look after the family etc.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth Norman said...

This is awesome. I particularly like the drips. I just finished watching a professional video on mixed media and included were how to do drips that are appealing. Clearly you know how to do them. Love the colour combo--it's my fav. In fact my top and jewlerry I'm wearing today are in those colours.