Monday, June 17, 2013

Gazing at Clouds

What do you see when you look at this photograph? Anything at all? One of my favorite books to read to my children when they were little was "My Life with the Wave" by Octavio Paz, adapted by Cowan and Buehner. It's the story of a child who takes a wave home to live with him and the surprising havoc it raises in their home. At the end of the story, the child returns the wave to the sea but begins to dream about taking home a cloud, reasoning that they are so soft and fluffy that they couldn't be much trouble at all . . .  The book ends with a picture of a cloud's face, which looks very much like this face which I found recently while gazing at clouds before a baseball game. 
When I added item #12 to the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt: A Cloud in the Shape of Something, I hadn't thought that much about what types of clouds you need to see objects. Obviously, the high overcast we have on the coast is not so good! But white fluffy clouds, like the ones above the baseball field are just right:
I enjoyed watching the clouds move and form various interesting shapes. I watched one group of clouds for about fifteen minutes as it slowly moved and began to morph into what I hoped would be the head of a unicorn. I took this picture during the transformation:
The clouds continued to move, and it happened. It looked just like a unicorn. I put my phone up to my eye take the picture,carefully framed it, went to press the button, and . . . the battery died!  So glad I captured the face when I had a chance. LOL! Have you had any interesting adventures gazing at clouds?
So happy to see so many people posting scavenger hunt finds already.  Here's an (incomplete) round-up of some recent posts:
Chipper has this very (unintentionally) funny sign.
Nicky has a variety of offerings, though I think my favorite is her tower.
BoysMum2 takes us to the Auckland Zoo.
Deb found a windmill!
The other Deb has a sweet napper, a beautiful mosaic and a funny sign.
Stacey posted something definitely out of place and her plan for going forward.
And Gail has the best plane photographs ever!
It's not too late to join the hunt. There's still over three months left. Click on photo in the sidebar to get all the details.

19 comments:

Cheri said...

I've decided that I must have no imagination. Been staring at clouds and seeing.... clouds. :( I don't suppose a cloud in the shape of a cloud counts?

alexa said...

Dreamy cloud gazing is so relaxing ... Ours up here tend to be the heavy overcast sort so I am anxiously awaiting the day when we get the big white fluffy ones from my childhood. Lovely to read how your meme is spreading!

Sian said...

Nice thoughts! Over here I think we have taught ourselves to look above a lot of the clouds, so when I look at your photo what I see is that expanse of blue sky

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

Cloud gazing was a favourite occupation when I was a child and something I enjoyed doing with my own children. Looking forward to finding some for the scavenger hunt.

Karen said...

We've been looking at the clouds, but haven't seen anything yet! Those are AWESOME plane photos!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Well, I was thinking the other day that there's a possibility I will completely injure myself at some point this summer by watching clouds and NOT watching where I'm going! Haha - I haven't spent this much time looking at clouds in forever, so I think it's a good thing. :o) My cousin posted a photo on Instagram last week of a cloud that looked exactly like a cancer ribbon. Ugh! That would have been perfect...

scrappyjacky said...

Like Cheri....I haven't managed to see anything yet! Still hoping.

laurie said...

i love clouds and where i live the clouds are big, fluffy and ever-changing. i will be on the lookout for a good one to use in the scavenger hunt.

Becky said...

I've been gazing at the clouds for days now and can see nothing but, well, fluffy clouds! I've got Hugh and Penny looking too. The only time I saw something really good I was driving and couldn't pull over! Oh well, I've got plenty of time yet :)

Ladkyis said...

Oh they are all fantastic. I have now blogged mine here
http://scrapbookannie-ladkyis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/starting-scavenger-hunt.html

So I am getting into it now

Jo Murray said...

I wanted to wait until our holidays to do this but the photos already taken have inspired me. Will be on the lookout for some interesting local pics for the hunt.

Abi said...

I didn't realise how many cloud photos I take until I went through my IG feed!

Irene said...

I've been looking at clouds, nothing yet. I'm hopeful.

Beverly said...

I am so horrible at this seeing something in the clouds thing, even when ya'll tell me what to see I just don't see it :/ I thought the windmill would be my downfall but when I was driving to the airport at midnight Sunday to pick up the newlyweds I found one! I just have to go back and photograph it. I now think the cloud thing will be the end of me lol The Chosen One and SweetGirl are both considering jumping in :> I'm tagging the ones I have on Instagram but am thinking I'll pick a date late in the month to share on the blog.

Missus Wookie said...

We decided that the high overcast clouds we see the most look like duvets, whipped cream and shaving foam.... so I took a photo anyhow :)

Unknown said...

We haven't had clouds suitable for this one yet. The sky is either all blue, or stormy! Sorry, but I am not going out into the rain to look at clouds ;)

Unknown said...

Love the smile.

I need to take a camera to bed with me as I do most of my cloud gazing from my velux window in the early hours when the light has woken me up. Mind you now I have an eye mask that doesn't happen as often.

Anonymous said...

No luck yet with clouds and today definitely isn't a day for it unless a storm cloud looks like something else. :) But I've got till September so not giving up. Thanks for the comment!

Miriam said...

How did I miss this post! looking for pictures in the clouds I suppose. Anyway I got here from your test linky this morning.