Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Photographer's Eye: Southern California Duo

Vignette #18: I Want a Barn
Clara and I took a side trip to Idyllwild to visit my sister Tricia and her house "on the mountain." It turns out she and  her husband John had bought a new property "down in the valley." The more they described it, the more desperate we became to go down and take a look around. My photographer's eye was captivated by their barn and was thrilled to capture it as twilight fell. I would love to take it over and turn it into an art studio and photography gallery.


 
Vignette #19: Childhood Memories
I grew up in a house twenty minutes away from Disneyland. During my childhood, we took countless trips to the Magic Kingdom. We took our cousins when they came to visit from Houston. We went on family trips. As teenagers, we created havoc trying to circumvent park rules. I remember E tickets and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Monsanto and Mr. Lincoln.  When boarding the monorail to head to Downtown Disney with Clara last week, I turned.  And my photographer's eye saw a scene which brought back every single one of those childhood memories. The submarine ride had real mermaids. The Matterhorn had an abominable snowman. In childhood, all things were possible.
********************************************************************************
My Photographer's Eye is a semi-regular series designed to feature my instagram photography and a brief accompanying narrative. You can see the other vignettes in this series by clicking on this link.

14 comments:

boysmum2 said...

That shot fromDisney is great captures so many memories in one shot. have yet to visit Disney, bit far from NZ to just pop on over too! One day we will get there with the boys

Sian said...

I love the retro feel you have given that Disneyland picture.

Unknown said...

I love your Disneyland picture. When I was small we lived in Orlando and we used to do all the parks in the off season when it was cheaper for residents. I have so many happy memories from it. That is probably why every time we have been in that area we have always sidetracked to Orlando. I wanted to share that with my kids.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Beautiful shots, Rinda, and I really love your journaling for these photos.

GlorV1 said...

Wonderful shots Rinda. Love the story behind them. Memories are really all we have.:)

Abi said...

Oh my word an art studio in that barn would be heaven!

Irene said...

Wow! That looks like a big barn. Great for a studio. I remember that long road trip to California and the fun visit to Disneyland.

Amy said...

Living so close to Disneyland seems almost unbelievable ... when I was growing up it really was a fantasy land!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

wonderful photos! Love the barn!

The Mann Fam said...

I remember the E ticket along with the A-D tickets. I also remember boarding the Matterhorn when the bobsleds weren't connected together, the ride was fast and smooth. No jerking caused by the pull from the 2nd attached car.

I remember all the those old rides, as well and being there with my boyfriend who is now my husband. What great memories.

Miriam said...

I wonder, would you have room for me in the barn? It looks so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Great photos Rinda, that barn just seems to glow. Love your memories of Disney - I remember those E tickets, in fact I think I even have one in one of my scrapbooks, although how it didn't get used I'll never know. :)

Unknown said...

Love the comment that in childhood all things are possible. Wonderful how both these are not just photographs that caught your eye, but that hold significance.

Missus Wookie said...

What a gorgeous looking Barn - Wookie would turn it into an inventor's workshop mind. The Disney photo is lovely - especially for the idea that all things are possible.