Thursday, June 30, 2016

Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt Linky: The Boy's Team Logo (item 15)

It's the end of June and time for the first linky for the 2016 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt. Please add a link to a post about the Scavenger Hunt. Either one written for today or one from earlier this month. Also, if you don't have a blog, feel free to link to your flickr or any other clickable photo sharing site where you have pictures. And please try to go visit a few other participants and leave a comment. It's all part of the fun!
***Edited to add: Apologies if the technology is not working for you; it's acting up for quite a few people, but working for others. You can always email me at rinda1961@yahoo.com if you can't link up, and I can add your link. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out! *****
My post today is a tale of two team logos. .  . and the choices a young man makes as he grows up. 
My son Henry is a very talented soccer player. Not EPL talented, but talented enough to be pursued by minor league teams here in the states, such as the Burlingame Football Club (second photo) or Lane United in Eugene, Oregon. Both are the lowest level feeder clubs for a MLS team. He would love to play for either of them - he loves being on the pitch, and he tells me that he is playing the best soccer of his life. 
But he is also a young man who will be graduating from University in a little over a year and knows that he needs to be building a resume and making contacts to start a career in his chosen field of sports business. 
So he applied for a summer job with the San Francisco Giants baseball team and had what he thought was a terrific interview. He waited and waited to hear back from them. His email and voice mail remained silent, and he asked whether we would be okay with him playing soccer and taking classes if a job with the Giants didn't come through. I said, "Of course!" I told him that he's only 21 once and the possibility of playing professional soccer is amazing and something he would never regret doing and would be able to talk about for the rest of his life. 
And then the email came with a job offer from the Giants. And Henry accepted the job. And he works every home game, wearing his employee badge with the San Francisco Giants logo. He's making good contacts and learning new skills  and hoping it will turn into a regular job upon graduation.
But if it doesn't, I'm hopeful that the clubs give him another chance. Because even though I'm proud of him for making the "right" choice, the adult choice about what team logo to wear this summer, part of me hopes that he still gets a chance to someday be able to tell his kids and grandkids about the year he played professional soccer . . . 
***************
Link up your scavenger hunt post below and don't forget to visit a few other participants when you get a chance! My other scavenger hunt posts can be found by clicking this link. Also, it's not too late to join the fun. You have until the end of September (approximately) to find the 21 items on the official list. You can find all the list and all the details here. 


19 comments:

Lisca said...

Oh you must be so proud of Henry! Well done!
I have written a blog today about the photos I have done so far. I was going to link it today but there is no 'Mr Linky' or such thing that I am used to linking. So I have no idea how to do it.
Please explain. My blog address is www.scrappingcavewoman.blogspot.com.es
Greetings from Spain,
Happy hunt!
Lisca

Eileen T said...

Well done to Henry and well done on all your finds so far. I'm not doing too well with the team logo search but I have done a post of the rest of my finds. I can't see the linky so this is my post - http://in-my-playroom.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/summertime-photography-scavenger-hunt_30.html

Maggie said...

Ahh. Hard choices but it sounds like he is doing very well.

Jane said...

I know just how you feel as my youngest had a scout after him but carried on with his education instead, well done to Henry

debs14 said...

Tough decision! Sounds like he's going to enjoy that placement though.

Sian said...

That's fantastic! I'm so pleased for him. Here (cos I love how their lives run a little in tandem) my logo will be the "Cricket Ireland" one worn on an official's jacket here. I can't wait to see what they do next..

Sorry, no link from me yet. I'm as always saving for the holidays and we aren't off for a few weeks yet

nancy y said...

Such great stuff about Henry - I hope he gets a chance to play professionally too! He has a bright future no matter what!

I have only a few items on my list so far, hoping now that my busy June is over I can concentrate more on photography!

Karen said...

It's so wonderful to have those opportunities to choose from. I know how proud you are!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

That's so awesome for Henry to have a job like that this summer. I know how much you guys love your Giants. Thanks for hosting our month-end linky party. I'm off to check out other photos... xo

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi again ~ I hadn't realized you'd already added my link, Rinda. Sorry I'm doubled up on your list! Feel free to delete one if you are able to do that. xo

Ruth said...

That's fabulous news about/for Henry!
No linky from me this month, because I haven't been that organised into getting my finds into a blog post ...

Sue's Paper Crafts said...

Congrats to Henry!!!! I hope that his dream of playing soccer comes true.

Sue
http://suek86401.blogspot.com

helena said...

what a fabulous, although hard, choice to have

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

You're only young once and what a wonderful thing that would be to look back on. A hard choice to make. You must be so proud of your boy.
Only just realised there was a link up after visiting Sian this morning. Will add mine now. Thanks for hosting again this year Rinda.

alexa said...

How lucky he is to have two such supportive parents :). Especially when there are hard choices to be made. This is a lovely story to document, and I hope his football talent continues to grow and be spotted.

Joan said...

Henry has had focus and a sense of purpose for almost forever, right? Such a great kid!

Melissa said...

Wow, he is certainly growing up! What awesome opportunities coming his way, too. I can imagine you are so proud of him.

Melissa said...

Finally got my photos processed & blogged my June finds (all 23 of them!) today. :) Thanks for the INSPIRATION!

I checked out some of the other links this morning, too, and absolutely love seeing photos from around the world. Some are so very different from mine!

Halle said...

Fun list this year! I'm looking forward to checking out my fellow participants blogs to see what they've come up with.