Friday, June 13, 2014

Strangest Extra Credit Assignment (Scavenger Hunt Find)

Thursday was Clara's last day of school! I'm so happy it's over because it will give us all a chance to sleep in and her a chance to step away from deadlines and due dates. During the last weeks, she worked hard to keep her grades up or to raise them. Some of her teachers offered extra credit for various activities. Most of the teachers asked for course-related assignments, such as "illustrate a meaningful quote from Lord of the Flies." Others asked for classroom donations for end of the term celebrations. But one of her teacher asked for something quite strange.
Each spring, the Portugese community in our town hosts the Chamarita Pentecostal festival. It features a midway with games and food booths, including the signature sandwich filled with Chamarita beef. Clara's teacher has a wall in her classroom covered with photos of kids eating a Chamarita beef sandwich. The teacher offers extra credit for students who bring in a picture to add to the wall. So, off we went to the festival.
And here's her extra-credit photograph. Clara's a vegetarian. So she didn't actually eat the sandwich. I did. It was good. Ah, education!
As a bonus, I found a lamp post for the 2014 Summertime Photography Hunt, decorated for the festival.
I've seen a fair number of lamp posts popping up so far on people's blogs. Besides gnomes, it may be the most popular find so far. And I've noticed that they seem to be pretty similar in shape and style all over the world. So, I put some time into composing this shot to try to get something a little different. I hope you like it! 
How's everyone else coming along on the Hunt? Remember, you have plenty of time. It runs until the official end of summer on September 23, 2014. For details and the full list of Scavenger Hunt items, click on this link or the photo in the sidebar to the left. Newcomers welcome! It's not too late to join.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Rinda, I emailed you re the soccer .... we have no expectations since we're in the group we are in ... how bad is that?! I bet the Spaniards aren't happy today either!
Truth be told, I know nothing about soccer ... it is very tame by comparison to our Australian Football but is increasing in popularity. AFL is loosely based on an indigenous game and is very fast, athletic and usually high scoring.
Having said that, Australia embraces the World Cup - we'd go to the opening of an envelope and sporting events are even more popular .... even though we're pretty hopeless!

Love the composition of your lamp post ... hey, technical question ... are you counting a street light as a lamp post? Some street lights have a lamp post look but I haven't used one of those yet because I thought I might be cheating.

Sian said...

Hooray for summer holidays and sleep ins!

We have a lamp post in our garden, so I'm trying to look further afield just for the challenge of the hunt

Linda said...

Love the composition of your lamp post picture with the wheel in the background. YAY! for Clara finishing school:)

Jane said...

great shot of the lamp post and well done Clara.

Sandie said...

I love the story that goes with your lamp post, a great find.
I have a tattoo and a waterfall so far.

Jo Murray said...

You did well Rinda. I am madly looking for my photos and think I'll have trouble with a juggler.

Carmen said...

I really like your lamp post composition. So colorful and happy! I'm off today to photograph my lamp post...

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful photo of the lamp post - and what a fun challenge to get photos of eating the famous sandwich.

TexWisGirl said...

the teacher has a nice way of promoting the festival! :)

Anonymous said...

nice shot of the lamp post...I am now obsessed with lamp posts. I have to put a collage together and post it for the scavenger hunt before I go too crazy!!!

Irene said...

Hope Clara has a nice safe summer. Thought you could find a juggler at that carnival. I found a lamp post by my job but didn't have my camera with me. Have not started taking pictures yet.

Lesley G said...

Being vegetarian and couldn't even have put it to my lips :O
I'm glad we have a huge deadline as I've only found one so far!!!

Karen said...

I loved those first days of summer when my kids (and I) were in school! Congrats to Clara, and your photo is great! I found two more this weekend. I was really expecting one of them to be very difficult!

Karen said...

I loved those first days of summer when my kids (and I) were in school! Congrats to Clara, and your photo is great! I found two more this weekend. I was really expecting one of them to be very difficult!

Melissa said...

What a FUN extra credit assignment!! This post made me laugh because I'm planning to post my first scavenger hunt photo in the next day or so . . . and it's a lamppost . . . although mine has a feature that might be different from the others! :>)

Anonymous said...

Hope Clara has a fun summer. I like your lamp post picture with the ferris wheel. I was going out yesterday to get my lamppost one and a couple of others but the heavens opened as they say (and boy did they ever-we even had a tornado watch) so that's put off to drier weather.