Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hope House (Summer of Color Week 1)

front view of Hope House
Kristin of the Twinkle, Twinkle blog hosts a wonderful summertime event called "Summer of Color." Each week, for six weeks, she posts a color combination and asks people to create something using that color palette. People work in mixed media, fabric, paint, photography, etc. This year I wanted to do something three dimensional, so I decided to make houses - teeny, tiny houses. My week one house is based on the colors aqua blue and yellow with a splash of hot pink. The base of it is a die colored with alcohol inks.
back view of Hope House
I painted the roof with acrylic paint and added some embellishments: 14 (for 2014; I might try to add a 14 to each house); the word hope; a door; a window and an angel (all cut from foam). I really enjoyed making this project, and I'm looking forward to making five more over the course of the summer. Thank you Kristin for hosting!
If you want to participate, there's still plenty of time to join up. If you want to see what others have made using this same color palette, click on this link.

21 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I love how you've used the dice as a base.....and then worked with such a tiny base!I'll be interested to see what word you add to each of the other houses.
I'm hoping to get a chance to join in with Summer of Color.

Missus Wookie said...

I was thinking it was small and then realised the base was a dice!

helena said...

so much detail on something so teeny tiny and hope is such a great word for these colours

Sian said...

You know how much I love a house..and the smaller the better. I love it.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh my goodness! I absolutley love your tiny hope house! So beautiful and very creative! I really like how you used the SOC colors!!!!

sue :) said...

How cute , love your little house.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Knowing that you've used a die really gives us an idea of just how tiny it is. Well done!

Becky said...

A lovely little house!

Miriam said...

A very beautiful tiny house indeed. I like the addition of a word. I might add that to my houses.

Linda Kunsman said...

this is o sweet! I'll be looking forward to seeing your houses all together in the end:)

GlorV1 said...

Love your little house Rinda.
gloria

Kristin said...

xo

Anonymous said...

very sweet..looking forward to seeing the neighborhood!

Caz said...

your teeny tiny houses are so much fun!

Cindy McMath said...

Wow that's tiny! So cool! A fairy may move in when you're not looking. :)

Lesley G said...

So cute, I've yet to hop over and take a look but it's on my to do list!

Halle said...

This is so clever! Love the use of the colors.

Unknown said...

Awww so perfectly tiny! Very cool idea.

Paper rainbow said...

What a lovely idea to make the challenge a 3d village!!!!! Wonderful!

BJ said...

Oh that's just adorable. BJ

Melissa said...

What a FUN idea for the Summer of Color. I'm planning to participate, but didn't find time last week as I was prepping for a class I'm teaching at our (not-so) LSS in early July. Luckily I have a craft day planned for tomorrow, so I might see what I can do with the week 1 & week 2 colors! :>)