Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blogs v. Facebook: Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt Update and Questions

#3 Birds on a Wire
For the first time this year, there is a facebook page for the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt. I toyed with the idea last year but shied away from it because I have traditionally not liked classes where there are multiple places to post work, as things get too diffuse for me. Also, I surveyed people and found that there were many people who don't like or don't use facebook. So I shelved the idea. I liked having the Hunt be mainly a blog-based event, and those without blog managed with flicker or other photo-hosting sites.
Birds on a wire, part 2 (filtered instagram)
Oddly enough, I did not have the same hesitation about creating an instagram hashtag. Last year, it was #summertimescavengerhunt (and it's fun to look at the photos there). Instagram just seems like its own little world; different somehow than blogs or facebook. The instram hastag for this year is #rindas2014photohunt.
This year, Kathryn took the initiative to set up a facebook page, and it's been GREAT!  None of my original fears were realized, and I don't feel like I have to monitor or manage it.  And there have been some really wonderful finds showing up on facebook that are not showing up in blog land.  Here are a few of them:
Eileen Taylor's Bakery (#9)
Paz Padrid's Horns
Catherine Channing-Hutt's sign in language other than English
Fiona Patch's Public Garden
Lindsay Coleman's prom photobomb
Julie Jeavons and her undersized gnome.
That's not to say that there aren't wonderful blog posts popping up all the time, too. In particular, Lady Ella at The Flowers of Progress has been posting great finds, like these gnomes (which I think will now be on BIG SALE - sorry England) and colorful horn:
And Alison of Life in the Slow Lane has already posted 11 finds, including this very meaningful tattoo:
And, finally, there are others, like Joy Shallcross who are posting on both facebook and her blog, Daisy Row.
Summer Solstice Sunrise
So, I guess the lesson learned is that there's room for all kinds of participation in the 2014 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt. I'm glad that facebook has made room for folks who don't have blogs to participate, and I am glad that people are blogging about their finds. And I enjoy seeing photos pop up on instagram as well (although I don't know how to easily put those into a blog post - technical help anyone?).  
This post put me in mind of some of Seth Apter's musings on the extent to which facebook and instagram displaced blogs for a while and whether blogs are making a comeback. What do you think? Blogs? Facebook? Both? And what about instagram? Is there room in your life for all three? Has the presence of more than one platform hurt or improved your Hunt experience? Or has it not made any difference at all? Feedback welcomed!

26 comments:

Eileen T said...

Hi Maria, thanks for showing my bakery photo on your blog. Just to let you know that the majority of my scavenger hunt photos are on my blog - three posts so far. I've only put a few duplicates on Facebook.

Eileen @ In My Playroom


Sian said...

Oh, blogs please! I do hope blogs are surging ahead again. Sorry, I just find Facebook too overwhelming..

scrappyjacky said...

I much prefer blogs....but pleased that I now know there's a Facebook page.....I must have missed it somehow.

misteejay said...

So pleased that this is mainly a blog event as I just don't "do" Facebook.

Am loving the photos that I have seen on here and have managed to post a few of the list items myself over on my blog.

Toni xx

Liz McGuire, said...

Missed last year but really enjoyed doing the year before's hunt. Have asked to join the FB page, printed off the list and will give it a go!

Great pics so far,

Liz x

Becky said...

Blogs for me, but I am enjoying sharing on Instagram properly this year :)

Karen said...

Really enjoyed last years hunt so I'll be joining in again this year but I'll probably have to wait until the school summer holidays to start.

Lady Ella said...

Thank you for featuring my pics! A blogger first for me as far as I know! :o)

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I prefer blogs to Facebook for this project and haven't visited the Scavenger Hunt page on FB. I do use FB on a daily basis but mainly as a means of keeping in touch with far flung friends. I'm relatively new to IG but will definitely post any I take on my phone there.

boysmum2 said...

I use the 2 platforms for very different reasons. The blog is for keeping memories and pictures whereas FB is for connecting with friends on a daily basis. The stuff that gets written on FB is too short and instant specific to go on the blog, but then I also have things I put on the blog that never go on FB. I created the FB page because I have lots of friends who love showing off their camera skills on FB and I thought they might love the inspiration of a set list of items to hunt for over the next 3 months. It is quite amazing the people who took me up on the challenge and are having a great time with it.

I am personally posting to both places as it is still a picture hunt for the blog to begin with but by putting my pictures on FB I am encouraging my friends without blogs to participate.

I never thought creating the page was going to cause such discussion, glad it has worked though as I was a little apprehensive when I created the page to begin with.

debs14 said...

I hadn't realised there was a Facebook page, but have now joined it. I love the fact that it is now really easy to join in for everyone, but think I will use my blog mostly, not sure how to get photos from my camera onto Instagram, phone photos are easily done but I've yet to look into importing from cameras!

Lesley G said...

I didn't realise either that there was an FB or # - might take a look but do prefer it on my blog!

helena said...

blog for me, I'm not on FB and have been put off some other collective online groups because they are on both platforms and I think each platform misses the full experience (eg liberate your art.

Lady Ella said...

Not on FB so nice to see some of the photos from there. (Still not tempted to join though!) Haha, yes no doubt some of those gnomes will have sustained injury in the meantime :o) LOVE your birds on a wire!

Cheri said...

I have to agree with boysmum2 - I use the platforms for totally different reasons. I have very diverse groups (family, friends, co-workers, mere acquaintances) who are "friends" on my facebook page, and that feels far too public and vulnerable for me to post anything meaningful or personal. My blog is where I tend to go deeper and spill my heart out - and I know I can trust my more limited blog tribe to keep it safe. And I do find that classes with multiple posting sites tend to be more disjointed and harder to keep up with. But glad to hear that you are getting more participants with the Facebook page!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I love blogs but lately I find it easier to keep up on Facebook & I am loving the group there. I can Facebook & instagram on my phone but i've always found blog reading more of a challenge on it.

Karen said...

I love your second birds on a wire photo! I use Facebook primarily to catch glimpses of my grandson in Illinois, but rarely post and comment only infrequently. I have so many time-eaters I'm afraid to start one more. I love Instagram, but tend to totally forget about it for months at a time. Am thinking about picking it back up as a project in July and seeing if I can make it a habit that doesn't become too time-consuming.

Alison said...

I hadn't realised there was a FB page, but I will check it out...I used Instagram last year as well as my blog but am only blogging (so far) this year.....what a lovely surprise to see Kirsty on your post..I am still really touched every time in see her tattoo!
Alison xx

Sandie said...

I didn't realise there is a FB page - I'll pop over and check it out. I have caught up a bit this weekend but not had time to post photos yet. Meanwhile I must check out instagram - I see it all the time but it is an unknown to me.

Nathalie said...

I love this collection of photos (once again! :)
I am more of a blog reader too. I don't post on Instagram and go there just once in a while to lurk and I only use Facebook for my work on Design Teams. I do think that blog readership has been hurt by the other options (especially by Instagram where the feedback - and esp. the likes- come quicker...)

BJ said...

Oh my, not facebook as well. I know exactly what you mean about too many places to go to, having that trouble with the Summer of Colour also. May just stick to the blog, struggling a bit this year but did happen to get a temporary tattoo with some yogurts but have yet to apply it - LOL

~*~Patty S said...

Fun to see the offerings on the FB page and here on your blog too Rinda...
I am not on instagram...yet!
I honestly feel if I add one more thing I will never leave my favorite computer chair or rest my thumbs ;-)
I am still very committed to blogging...I like having a visual journal of sorts of some of what is going on with me but I do notice that FB eats up quite a bit of time...
what to do what to do...
fold laundry now I think ;-)
oxo

Unknown said...

I'm doin everything!!!lol

Here is my blog post with my photos so far.
http://mostlyscrapping.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/2014-summertime-photography-scavenger.html

I am also joining in on facebook and love the hastag!!!!

Thanks for a great hunt, I love seeing everyones photos

Lesley G said...

Well I still haven't found the Facebook page - link anyone please????

Julie J said...

LOL Rhinda - that's actually my Mom and her gnome. I think she's quite stunned to be on Facebook and have so many likes!

Jimjams said...

More lovely finds.
I don't tend to use FB that much - I read some of my family & friends' pages and use FB groups to connect with some fellow scrappers/slimmers but I don't fully understand all the permissions/settings so I'm not that comfortable with it.
Not bothered with Instagram ... probably because I have a dumb-phone!