Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Highlights

In no particular order, here are ten highlights from my year (like my blog, they are highlights of my art, with a little life thrown in).
1.  Tim Holtz's Creative Blocks Class (and an untold follow-up story)
In July, I took a wonderful class with Tim Holtz.  It was so much fun, and I love the project I made in the class. I wrote a glowing review, in which I mentioned how much I needed the class because my dog Gypsy was in the middle of a serious medical crisis and how wonderfully genuine Tim Holtz continues to be, despite his enormous success. What I haven't shared (until now) was that I received an email from Tim a few days later thanking me for my review and what I said about him and (very sweetly) inquiring about Gypsy and sending get well wishes because he is such a dog lover. The email meant sooo much to me and was definitely a highlight of the year.
2. Sian's Storytelling Sunday.  I adored writing these stories and reading the ones posted by others.  So glad to hear that she's continuing the tradition - with a twist - in 2012. Check back tomorrow for my first story of the year.
3.  Watching this boy grow up. Henry turned 16 this year and is doing so well. It especially shone through during the time we were gone in England, and he stayed here by himself.  He took good care of himself, his dog and our house. I'm really excited about the man he will become.
4. Cheryl Johnson's Photography Classes - The Twelve Days of Christmas class really helped me understand white balance and taught me to take pictures at night.
And her portrait class (Beautiful People) completely convinced me that I could take portraits.
5. Gypsy
She walked into our life, and like they say about many shelter dogs, it's not clear who rescued who.  She has brought such joy to everyone in our family.
6. Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog. I am so glad that I found this blog. I have loved shopping my stash to put together "kits" and the using those kits in projects. The blog has tons of fantastic ideas for creating your own embellishments, sketches, and a really nice community feel to it. 
7. Houston Memory Cards and Heritage/Genealogy Project.  One of my goals for the year was to work on my heritage album and genealogy project, and I made substantial progress this year. Midway through the year, Sian came up with an idea she called "Captured in a Card."  It was a way of capturing memories and illustrating them at the same time. I took the idea and used it to create a series of cards about the summer I spent in Houston a a child. I loved this project!
8. My 2011 Intention and OLW - I'm fabulous and healthy. And I've documented it all on my blog and in my art journals. I lost almost 30 pounds this year. I can run a mile in less than eight minutes, and I feel great about myself.
9. Meeting blog friends - Deb here in California and Jacky in London.  So Awesome.
10. The Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt. It was so much fun to run this hunt, and I can't believe the magical moment when this pirate walked off a ferryboat or when Deb and I saw this gentlemen:
All-in-all, it was a very good year here on Gallorganico. Thanks for being a part of it!

9 comments:

laurie said...

what a great way to capture the highlights of your year, and highlights they were! so jealous you got to meet tim holtz. i can't wait to see what you will do in 2012.

Irene said...

Sounds like 2011 was a very good year for you. Can't wait to see what 2012 will bring you. Wow! Tim Holtz and you have a picture to prove it. I'm jealous too.

Sian said...

I really enjoyed reading this post - and it gives me a lot of pleasure to see that I'm included! One of my highlights has to be the enthusiasm with which you supported Storytelling Sunday. You were a big part of making it happen!

I've very much enjoyed dropping by here right through 2011 and of course I'll be right back in 2012.

Anonymous said...

I haven't missed a post this year (though not all got comments), and I surely enjoyed your review! I'll be right back again in 2012.

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely post,Rinda....have loved reading your 'highlights'....just as I enjoy reading all your posts. Meeting you was also one of the highlights of my year.

Beverly said...

A great year end post. The night time photo is breathtaking but my favorite is what you say about Henry. Happy New Year, Rinda!

GlorV1 said...

Loved your highlights of the year 2011. Excellent. Thanks Rinda and I am happy to have met you and enjoy reading your blog. Thank you as well for your visits.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family. God Bless You!
gloria

Unknown said...

Great post Rinda, I have enjoyed reading your blog throughout the year.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Rinda, this post makes me so happy. I've loved following your blog this past year, and more importantly, building our friendship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to spend some more face-to-face time together this year.

Also, how about another photography scavenger hunt in 2012? :o)