Thursday, August 14, 2014

ZIZO #31: Chinatown Murals

I have a nice three-part zoom in < zoom out photographic offering this week for Helena's awesome meme. See other people's offerings here. I found this beautiful mural in Oakland's Chinatown district. My son Henry is working there this summer, and I went in to meet him for lunch. I took my camera along with me to capture some items for the 2014 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt (coming this weekend), but I couldn't resist this mural, along with a couple others.
Kim Huong is the name of a local restaurant. I love the juxtaposition of the dragon and butterfly. And that green combination.
The grungy, urban feel of this mural, accented by boxes and fire hydrant really drew me in. For all of these photographs, I invite you to click on them so you can see them larger and in more detail. Come back this weekend to see what I found for the Scavenger Hunt while wandering through Chinatown.

14 comments:

helena said...

wonderful vibrant murals and I love the detail

Sian said...

Oh, yes. These would have drawn me in too. Wish we had a China Town. So much to see

Karen said...

The colors in the first mural are fabulous, and the first shot could be a painting on it's own! Thanks for sharing.

Janet Ghio said...

I love the first one with the pandas on it. What a wonderful play to photograph--the perks of living in a city with people of many ethnicities--so interesting!

debs14 said...

I especially love the first one. So much to see on one wall.

Melissa said...

Oh Rinda, that is a fabulous group for ZIZO! It's so interesting how much detail is in the eye that you don't see looking at the whole mural.

Nathalie said...

I haven't seen a good graffiti in a long time! The first one is my favorite!

Lady Ella said...

Beautiful! Love love love pandas!

Anonymous said...

fabulous 3-step ZIZO...I have to post some of my remaining mural shots soon(but none are as good as this one!)

Miriam said...

These are absolutely wonderful Rinda, such vibrant colours! A really great ZIZO

Anonymous said...

They're gorgeous - so vibrant!

Unknown said...

Lovely murals

Jimjams said...

These are brilliant - how lovely that these have been done by talented artists and not defaced by graffiti artists!

Unknown said...

Be sure to check out the new paintings Dragon School has been putting up! Particularly around 10th Street! :)