Sunday, August 26, 2012

Library and Scavenger Hunt Update

Here's two views of my local public library. When I was a kid, I loved to go to the library because I loved books.  I also loved to go to the library because it was always a special outing with my father, who also loved books. We would spend hours there.  On other, much less frequent occasions, he would take me to an actual book store . . . B. Dalton Booksellers in the (now defunct) Fashion Square Mall. I was only able to buy one book, and I agonized over my selection. These thoughts came rushing back to me when I saw this  book, which I definitely read as a kid, checked out of the public library:
I thought about publishing this post next Sunday, as part of Sian's Storytelling Sunday, but I've got something else planned.  Will you be telling a tale next weekend?
This post is obviously part of the 2012 Photography Scavenger Hunt, item #13 a library. I only have four left to post, and two of them have already been found.
As a reminder, the scavenger hunt ends on September 21, the last official day of summer, so there's still almost four weeks left. I will publish a concluding post that weekend and ask everyone to check in with their final tally.  
To help keep you motivated, here are a few interesting links:
Cheri's has quite a few finds in this post, but the string band at the end is priceless!
Melissa's post with finds from Taos, New Mexcio give a very strong sense of place.
Linda Mann offers some seashore finds, including a surfer's clothesline in this post.
Jo Murray published all of her finds at once.
Deb finished up her hunt with this beautiful bride.
Louis has lots of finds in this post, but my favorite is the person dressed as angel.
Julia offers up a lot of atmosphere in the two finds in this post.
Amanda Jane just started playing this month, and she's charging through the list. I love her self-portrait in this post; and
Alison stumbled across this very sweet angel, while Jane went on a mission and found several beautiful ones.
There are lots and lots of other posts out there. It has really warmed my heart to see so many people participating!!! If you are one of them, don't forget to mark your calendar for the end of summer, so you can come back and leave me your tally.

20 comments:

alexa said...

There's nothing lifts my heart like a shelf full of books - unless it's walking into a library! You're nearly finished ...

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I loved the library as a child (still do) although ours was a mobile one that came to our village once a fornight.

helena said...

I too loved the weekly library visit all through my childhood - indeed through adulthood until I bought a kindle - must go back to the library for a browse of the books I don'r read ont eh kindle

Irene said...

Ah, the smell of books. Happy for you that your scavenging is nearly complete.
Thanks for the links to others, some of whom I haven't visited. Off to make amends this very minute!
Hope all well. Irene

Amy said...

I have loved seeing the library prompts and photos, because, so many of them, regardless of where in the world they are - look the same!
Visiting the library is one of my favourite things to do, we are lucky, the library where I grew up as a child is a very popular place for the children and I to go when visiting my parents.

Anonymous said...

I miss visiting the library. We used to go so often when Gracia was little. I almost got a photo of a library yesterday but my phone had run out of battery :0(

Unknown said...

Library was one of the ones I got while on holiday, I'll post during the week. I didn't manage a lovely pic of the books like yours though.

Missus Wookie said...

Planning a trip to the British Library for my library post...

although there are so many in my life I also thought of doing a round up post of them all!

Love the book shot and remember reading Big Red as a child too and to my kids...

Ladkyis said...

I just know that the Bride is going to be the difficult one for me so I was thinking about the substitute picture of either a heart-shaped stone or a four leaf clover and I realised that I have already taken the picture that I will use as a substitute and I took it when lining up another scavenger hunt picture. I feel much better about it now.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Now that the kids are back in school I am planning an afternoon photo hunt this week. Still not sure about the angel statue & the roadside stand, but I think one of the weekend BBQ trailers might qualify

scrappyjacky said...

I love libraries as well....they always seem so comforting as well.

Carola Bartz said...

I went to Melissa's blog after commented on my Taos post. What a coincidence indeed.
I am so far behind my scavanger hunt, I am glad if I get about a third of it!

Jo Murray said...

Now that's a real library. Thanks for all the links Rinda. An interesting collection of finds.

Abi said...

We love libraries in my family. When we were little we used to go and listen to the stories being read. Now we go once a week when we pick up our groceries! Always a highlight for me- you never know what new book you will find. Our library has just started stocking some great craft books too!

Elizabeth said...

Even though I have a Kindle Fire, I love going to the library. Just seeing all those books and knowing that I can read any of them that I want. As far as the hunt goes...who would think finding someone playing with a ball would be my stumbling block? We only have a few children on my street and they are never around. (Probably inside playing video games.) I'm going to persuade my husband to bounce a ball around so I can take a photo!

Deanna said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog...glad to know who received one of my postcards. And libraries...oh I did love my library growing up. Spent many hours perusing books and finding a treasure (which were many). I took my children to the library once a week when they were young and they both are avid readers along with my grandchildren. Libraries are great, actually books are great both in libraries and in bookstores. I do remember B Dalton bookstores, now gone. Interesting Scavenger Hunt you have going on. May have to join in since I still have 4 weeks to complete. Thanks!!

Sian said...

I was delighted to see a library on the list - spotting libraries from all over the world has really been enjoyable for me this summer.

I'm looking forward to your story

JO SOWERBY said...

I have just blogged the ones I have got so far. Still hunting,
Love Jo xxx

Melissa said...

Thanks for the link to my Taos Pueblo post - I knew there must be a reason I was getting some new comments there! :>)

I love libraries, too. We recently took my twin nieces there & did a photo scavenger hunt with the August Twelve Photos prompts - I need to get that posted soon.

sky-blu-pink said...

Hi Rinda, thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I am having such fun with the scavenger hunt, just a few more to get, including the Library ( I never seem to have my camera when I go for books.....) and a Bride! Great idea!