Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to School, 2012 (Photo Essay)

The morning begins.
Henry's summer AP homework completed and ready to go. He finished yesterday at 3:00 p.m. (the earliest ever). His schedule: Pre-Calculus, AP Environmental Science, Economics/AP Government, English and Web Design. Supplies - he said, "All I need is a pencil and a few pieces of binder paper."
Gypsy gives Henry a hug. She seems to know something is up - the kids are never awake this early.
 
Henry, 17 years old, a Senior in High School, member of the Class of 2013. Confident and ready to go (although he did spend quite a bit of time last night deciding what to wear).  He got his hair cut yesterday and decided not to shave the beard he's been working on all summer. He's up and out in half an hour (including a shower, breakfast and a check-in on Sports Center). When I asked him why he wasn't wearing any of the clothes we bought last week, he said " I don't like wearing anything brand new on the first day of school." 
Meanwhile, in another part of the house . . . 
"Wait mom, I'm not ready. I can't get the frickin' notebook in my purse."
Clara, 14 years old, starting High School, Freshman, Class of 2016. The purse is a new accessory. High School girls apparently carry purses, not backpacks. She's rocking the crutches, and her eye is healing up from the surgery just fine. She's taking Art, Spanish I, P.E., Algebra I, English and Social Studies. She spent less time choosing her outfit last night than Henry did, but she needs much more time to get ready in the morning (1-1.5 hours).
Gypsy is a little sad to see the kids go.
Don't worry, girl, they'll be home later this afternoon. 
And I told them I'd make cookies.

19 comments:

Amy said...

I hope they both have a fantastic year ahead ... gotta love the minimalist supplies!

Kirsti said...

Fab..my 13 year old son wouldn't let me take his pic first day back to school:0( x

Jo.C said...

This is brilliant. Don't think I am ever organised enough to capture shots like this. Maybe next week :0)

scrappyjacky said...

At least our tradition of school uniforms means no time spent choosing what to wear!!
I still have one girl who needs 1-1.5 hours to get ready....while the other leaves for work half an hour after she gets up.
Hope they both had good days.

Julia said...

Loved reading about your day and I hope Gypsy was not that all day long! Only another week and we will be doing the same here.

Mary B said...

What a super way to record the day, I especially love the ones of Gypsy bless her

Sian said...

Best of luck to the pair of them! I like the idea of not wearing anything new on the first day. That's the kind of laid back style I admire.

It's our last day of holiday today..back to the grindstone tomorrow, though with more uniform and even more hair!

Abi said...

Good luck to them! Gosh, the joys of starting school again. How I wish I had had the luxury of wearing my own clothes every day. Mind you it would have taken me most of the morning to decide what to wear!

Jimjams said...

I hope the first days went well for them both - exciting stuff.
My daughter starts 6th form in a week - and I guess she'd better start sorting out her outfit now as it's her first year out of uniform!

humel said...

All the best to them both! I keep forgetting you start back earlier than we do - though we only have one more week here, too... Lovely photo essay, great idea :)

Irene said...

How exciting for them both, it will be a great school Year.

Jane said...

hope they have a good year!

I saw a post last week on Facebook from Shimelle about the LSNED class, not had an email yet though, look forward to seeing you in class.

Alison said...

Hope they both had a good day..and that Gypsy cheered up!
Alison xx

Elizabeth said...

Had to laugh when I read that Henry only needed pencils and a few sheets of binder paper for his school supplies. Boys are so different from girls!

~*~Patty S said...

brilliant capture in photographs and narrative of a milestone for everyone in your family including your sweet puppy!

we always took a first day of school and a last day of school photo of our boys...

I do not know where the time has gone...
oxo

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

This is such a great post, Rinda. I love that you documented each of the kids own routine. And the photos of Gypsy are over the top CUTE!!!

Linda said...

good luck to both for the new school year! Love little Gypsy:)

Missus Wookie said...

Fun to see the kids routines and supplies. So glad Clara's eye is healing well.

DD (18) also says that most people do the purses/handbags not backpacks. She carries one anyhow.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I really enjoyed this post Rinda. It's always so interesting to see the differences (and similarities) in school life across the pond. The thing that struck me, is the tiny purse that Clara is taking to school. My daughter is dwarfed by her rucksack full of school books and supplies!