Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Grandmother's House

I know I kindof promised myself that I would make a heritage/genealogy layout for each memory card I made (see this post for an explanation), but I have to admit that I love making the cards more than I love doing the layouts.  And they're much faster.  So, I do have layouts planned for this card, as well as a couple others. But I decided to put a couple up anyway because I'm off traveling this weekend and won't get to the layouts until later.  The card up top has memories of my Grandmother's house and is based on the Card Sketch challenge at the Counterfeit Kit blog.  Both of my mother's parents died before I was old enough to know them, as did my dad's father.  But I did get to know my Grandmother a bit. . . about as well as you can get to know an adult that you only see once or twice a year and with whom you don't share a common language (she only spoke Spanish; I only spoke English).  But, I still have fond memories of my Abuelita (as we called her).  Here's what I wrote:
"Grandma's house was full of interesting things. . . a foot powered sewing machinge; a hand cranked clothes washer; a huge bag of animal crackers.  Out back, there was a clothesline and I think I even recall an outhouse with a crescent moon cut in the door.  I remember sleeping on the living room floor during sweltering Houston summers, trying to stay cool under clean crisp sheets, listening to cicadas, worrying about flying cockroaches, and waiting to watch Speed Racer in the morning with my cousins."
My children, at 13 and 16, still have two grandparents around (my husband's parents), but I really wish that they got to know my folks better before they passed away.  Did you get to know your grandparents  Do you have any special memories of them to share?

10 comments:

Sian said...

I didn't get to know my father's parents at all, which I'm very sorry about. He was a Welsh coal miner and lived a completely different life to the one I grew up in.

I love how fast the cards are to make too - it's very satisfying!

debs14 said...

I remember Mousie Mousie! Can still visualise those little plastic mice. I never knew my Dad's parents, and only saw my Mum's very infrequently. Mum came from a very large family and she was sent, with one of her sisters, to be brought up by her grandmother so she was not that close to her 'real' parents.

JO SOWERBY said...

i used to play mousie mousie too, it was gr8 fun. my grandparents on my dad's side had an outside loo which was very entertaining as a child and we played on my grandad's allotment. my other grandparents lived in a vicarage as my grandpa was the vicar. they had a massive victorian vicarage with an old victorian mangle, chickens, a goat, loose sheep roaming outside, a graveyard to play in, attics full of old dressing up clothes and loads of other amazing things when ur a child,
jo xxx

laurie said...

i remember that game, too!!! your descriptions of your grandma and staying with her are so descriptive, like reading a book. have you ever thought of writing a book? i did get to know all four of my grandparents and have special memories of them all.

Carola Bartz said...

We played that game as kids back in Germany!!!
I am lucky to have known three of my grandparents. When my Opa died I was devastated (I was 8). He was the first I lost and I have the best memories of him. My mother died when my daughter was 8 and she was her favorite grandparent as well. She doesn't see her grandparents very often - last time was two years ago - and only my dad makes attempts to somehow connect with her. It's sad, but I can't force it.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Love the colors and design on these cards Rinda. I was young when I lost my grandparents, but have fond memories of them. Grandpa and I use to walk in the forests together, he was such a large man. He would hold my hand in his huge one and I always felt safe. Great memory.

Irene said...

Your memories of abuelita made me laugh this morning. That outhouse is now my master bath and the clothesline is no longer there. We all loved to go eat those animal crackers and the machitos she would make. (rolled corn tortillas with salt) Thank you for these memories.

nancy y said...

I'm enjoying your Houston Memories!
I knew both grandparents on my Dad's side... as much as you can with periodic visits to Kansas as a kid - it was interesting to travel on a dirt road to their farm. I do have quiet a lot of great memories tho; being able to drive a tractor, chewing wheat into gum, my Grammas most delicious homemade popcicles!
On my Mom's side, just my Gramma B - who I knew really well and miss every day.

Jen said...

I was close to my maternal grandparents. I adored them both. My gran died when I was 15 - and I still miss her - but grandad was a very special great-grandfather to my eldest daughter, so I was able to enjoy his company for so much longer. My own children - all adults now - still have my parents around and have a close link with them even though they are across the water these days.
Loving your cards - I have hopes of joining in in holiday time. J x

Anonymous said...

My paternal grandmother died before my parents were married. I have a very few memories of my grandfather, but I did get to know his second wife a bit better. My maternal grandmother died when I was in the third grade, and I have few memories of her. We spent more time with my grandpa than any of the others, and I do have stories I want to tell. Your heritage cards are wonderful, and I've started a list of stories I could tell.