Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Simple Moment: A Changing of the Guard

It was a long photo shoot. We got here right after school and struggled with flat, grey light for the first few small groups. When we finally assembled the whole team together on the bluff, the sun broke through. My friend Becky smiled broadly as we shot the team and then hustled through all the individual runners. We lost light just as we finished the last few buddy shots.
I turned to capture the radar tower overlooking the ocean and empty bluff.
Last year I helped Becky shoot the soccer players on the soccer field. This year, I'm helping her photograph the cross country runners out here on the bluffs.
I stop to contemplate the shift from focusing on Henry's high school experience to Clara's. There's a distinct changing of the guard. And tonight, on this bluff, in the waning light, it's all good.
*********************************************************************
To check out other simple moments from October, click on this link.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Another great example of how coastal light changes so quickly and dramatically. I'm also enjoying seeing and hearing how Clara is flourishing in the running team.

becky ruppel said...

Love this! The light cooperated for us, it's been a wonderful fall and all of my photos have benefited from the beautiful afternoon light. We do live in Paradise, don't we?

Missus Wookie said...

Gorgeous light and sea - glad you got the photos you needed.

Miriam said...

Yes gorgeous light and sea and a very lovely moment Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

I'm enjoying all your Clara stories as well.

Sian said...

I love the light in this photo, just like everyone else!

Had a bit of a moment the other night - first school music concert with only one performer. The back row of the choir was missing its very tall bass..

Joan said...

My best friends from high school (we graduated 45 years ago) are still the ones I played sports with. Clara and Henry have a great deal to look forward to, and these pictures will be even more treasured in, say, 2058.

alexa said...

The light is lovely, and has really brought out the colours ... The transition from focus on Henry to Clara must be poignant as well as interesting and hopeful. A lovely moment ... I wasn't sure, Rinda, if you wanted to link with Simply a Moment this month? If you would, just let me know. As always, I am in awe of your ability to do so much in your life, in so many areas!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

It's been an honor to witness the changing of the guard on your blog and through Instagram, Rinda. I'd say you have a very capable new guard on your hands!

Irene said...

Looking at your photo on my iPad it sort of looks like a watercolor painting. Cool! Love to hear about Clara's high school adventures.

Jo Murray said...

One thing about change is that it is constant. Your lovely photo looks like a painting.

Melissa said...

I just had to comment on your beautiful photo and love your support for your daughter and her running.

Becky said...

Beautiful photo Rinda and lovely to be watching the changing of the guard through your blog and Instagram.

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful shot, Rinda. The colors are so calm, the entire atmosphere or mood very peaceful.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture. Nice that you were able to capture it. I love watching the changing of the guard on your blog.

~*~Patty S said...

I have enjoyed catching up with you Rinda...not sure where the time goes!!!

This post really speaks to me as I realize again that life is a constant changing of the guard and how nothing really stays the same ♥

Happy November...
oxo