Sunday, June 2, 2013

Storytelling Sunday: Earning My Keepsake

{The first Sunday of each month, Sian of From High in the Sky hosts Storytelling Sunday, an opportunity for bloggers to gather and share a few stories. For 2013, she has suggested that we share stories about our precious keepsakes. Here's my story for today.}
On Friday, I bought this necklace at the registration expo for the 2013 San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon and Half-Marathon.
By the time you read this, I will have arisen at 3:15 a.m. to put on my running shirt and race bib, my running tights and race socks.  I will have laced up my shoes and packed a bag with my supply belt and visor.
I will have met my race team in the hotel lobby at 4:00 a.m. to catch the shuttle bus to the starting line of the race.
By the time you read this, I will have waded through 20,000 people and will have found my corral for the 6:45 a.m. start.
I will have looked at my daughter, Clara, and thanked God for giving us the opportunity to take this incredible journey together and for all that it has done for her and for us.
By the time you read this, I will have run 13.1 miles to honor Mick, Judy, Phil, Trish and Thelma, as well as Jeff, Peter, Marti, Megan and Sandi.
I will have paid homage to our Santa Cruz team honorees Gini, Doug, Kathy and Greg.
I will have thought about Paul every step of the way.
By the time you read this, I will have completed the San Diego Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon, and by the time you read this, I will have earned a new precious keepsake.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement.  I could not have done it without you.
*********************************
p.s. The 2013 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt is on! Check out the details at this post. 

26 comments:

debs14 said...

I've been thinking about you a lot today and hope that the marathon went well. You and Clara have done amazingly well and I am sure this will have brought you so close.
Lets hope that all your sponsorship brings us one step closer to finding new treatments to help cure this disease.

Miriam said...

I have been thinking about you both today too, wishing you both good luck and now congratulations are in order. You are so very inspiring Rinda. Many many congratulations to Clara and to your team That keepsake is indeed precious.

scrappyjacky said...

I hope you have both been successful,Rinda.....an incredible journey to have taken together...I'm sure you both feel exhausted,but proud at this moment....and so you should.

Lou said...

Rinda I hope the race went well and you enjoyed yourself x

Unknown said...

SO awesome! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment. Hope your day was awesome!

sky-blu-pink said...

I was thinking about you both today. What a beautiful piece of jewellery as a reminder.

ForgedinPaper said...

Good luck I hope it went well and you achieved your goal.

Jo Murray said...

Yay Rinda!!! You, and Clara, ROCK! Well done.

Missus Wookie said...

Hope it went smoothly and you both achieved your goal. It was a gorgeous day here, I got hot and sweaty gardening - a lot less effort :)

Amy said...

Yes, you really have earnt that one!

Hope all went well and you are recovering comfortably now!

Melissa said...

What a wonderful memento! Looking forward to reading all about it!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on joining a half marathon. I always thought the word 'half' was an injustice in this phrase, there is nothing 'half' about 13.1 miles!!!!!!!! Well done and a great story.

Jane said...

I hope it all went well and you raised a lot of money for such a good cause.

Sian said...

You go for it!! I hope you know how proud everyone is of the pair of you and how hard we are all rooting for the family and the fundraising x

Karen said...

What an accomplishment for you and for Clara! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Linda said...

Hope it went well Rinda!

Cheri said...

Congrats! I'm sure you earned that pretty little keepsake and I'm so proud of you & Clara for doing this!

Mary B said...

beautifully told, well done on the race

laurie said...

You are such an inspiration to us all. What an accomplishment!

Alison said...

Hope it all went well, Rinda...I am so glad that you and Clara were able to do this together
Alison xx

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Thanks for all the updates via Instagram and Facebook. I loved following your journey and felt so proud of you and Clara and your accomplishment. Well done, both of you! ♥

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

well done to you both!

Becky said...

Gosh, that was an early start! Just read on a later post that you both finished - well done :)

jeanie g said...

What a wonderful achievement and so pleased you found your new precious to treasure.

Susanne said...

Oh my - that's quite an accomplishment - and certainly your "trophy" would be precious after being earned through much effort. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Memories attached to a tidbit--that's what turns them into treasures.