Friday, June 21, 2013

June's Simple Moment: Taking Stock and Moving On

It's a beautiful morning, and I need to get off the computer and out of bed. I could go to the gym, but my calves are sore from running the stairs yesterday. I decide to go out back to work the garden instead. The air is cool and the neighborhood quiet.  I start breaking up the dried lavender branches and putting them in the compost. The air fills with the scent of lavender, and the sharp snapping of the branches echoes in the still of the morning. I turn on the water and feel the cool spray from the hose, smelling the wet dirt around the newly planted alstroemeria. As I turn to water the tomato plants, I note their distinct, pungent aroma. When I finish, I look around and consider our progress.
We're determined to fix up the yard this summer. We started by clearing the detritus and taking stock of what we had that was worth saving. Trimming, tossing, purging the rest.  And then it was time to move on . . . repairing fences, getting new plants, considering future plans.   But none of that will happen unless we also continue to care for the yard in the meantime. We must water the new plants, prune and nurture the mature ones. It's all work, but it's worth it. It's a joy to be able to consider and plan for the future.  In the garden and in life. I smile, roll up the hose and move inside.
*****************************************************************************
Simply a Moment is a monthly meme hosted by Alexa of Trimming the Sails.  To read other moments in May or to add your own, simply click here.
********************************************************************************
p.s. Summer has just officially begun, the "traditional" start date for the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt, so it's definitely not too late to join in! For details check out this post. You have three months to find 21 items. The more the merrier!

23 comments:

Jane said...

you are so right, being able to plan for the future can be a luxury.

helena said...

so quietly poignant and heart warming - smelling the lavender and tomato along with you

Ladkyis said...

Beautiful! such a sense of joy

Sian said...

"Purging"..sometimes that's a good word to hear, isn't it? It speaks to me this morning! That's a beautiful photo

Miriam said...

Yes I like purging, it is exactly what we are doing in our garden. Planning for your future sounds so wonderful Rinda.

Lizzie said...

This is a good time of year, to be clearing out and renewing - both in the garden and life in general.
Lovely photo, Rinda and a lovely description of your thoughts.

I hope this summer is the best ever for you, Paul and your two wonderful young people.

Abi said...

I like your words here Rinda. They definitley speak to life in general not just gardening. Thank you for sharing them today.

scrappyjacky said...

I love that photo...and your 'moment'....and I can smell those wonderful scents as well.

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for sharing that quiet reflective time in your beautiful garden.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I love the sentiment expressed here Rinda. Sian's post earlier in the week took me back to time spent with my aunty and yours has taken me back to my Uncle's green house. I can smell those tomatoes in the sunshine now.

Sandie said...

A beautiful post, Rinda. Taking stock is important, it reminds you of the little things in life. Hope all your plans come into place and enjoy your garden together.

Carola Bartz said...

Beautifully written, Rinda. I could see you in your garden working and smell the tomatoes. Gardening is one of the things that makes me really happy, and with the new house came a huge garden area that I want to turn into a wildlife habitat. Quite a big project that will take a few years, but I am enjoying the process.

Beverly said...

I could smell the lavender, tomatoes and the dirt as the water hit it but best of all I could feel the joy and excitement in planning for the future!

Karen said...

We added two new plants to our shade garden (around the patio) this weekend, and Tracy transplanted a few ferns and hostas. I think it's the nicest it's ever been, and it's delightful to sit outside for meals or to read.

Nathalie said...

Lovely moment in your garden... I wish I had a green thumb but I don't... Your flowers are so pretty!

The Mann Fam said...

Love the way you described what you smelled in the garden as gardens are not only a sight for the senses but also can be as aromatic as a kitchen on thanksgiving day.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh I so enjoyed these few moments in the garden with you. Future plans can be scary but what a welcome reminder that with work and faith it is worth the effort :)

Linda said...

Lovely to think of you working in your garden on such a lovely morning:) Good luck with fixing up the yard! (I'd call it renovating the garden here - LOL at our different versions of English!)

Becky said...

A lovely post. - I could almost smell those smells with you :-)

alexa said...

Your photo is so visually arresting - almost like a painting. And your words bring the scene to live so sharply and fill in the bits of life we couldn't experience with just our eyes ... I love your thoughtful conclusion too :). It is lovely to see you joining in again this month and linking up, and thank you so much ...

Jen said...

Lovely, lovely photo- - and your words capture the scents so evocatively. Your final words have given me a sense of hope - - thak you so much. J x

Melissa said...

What a lovely moment to capture & your photo compliments it well. We had hoped to re-work our front flower beds this year, but time crept up on us & now it's in the high 90s everyday - not my ideal for gardening! :>(

Anonymous said...

I can smell the lavender now.