Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Artists, Musicians and Social Justice

Jacob's Ladder (Art Journal page, click to enlarge)

On Sunday night, DH and I went to a concert at the amazing Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society.  This local treasure, a beach house owned by Pete Douglas, has been hosting jazz and classical performers in an incredibly intimate beach-front venue for over forty years. As we watched the 15-piece Marcus Shelby Jazz Orchestra perform, I thought of my struggling artists friends and wondered how each of these artists could manage to make a living practicing their art. Midway through the second set, I realized that each of the performers just seemed grateful to have an opportunity to be playing the music they loved, with dear and talented friends, in front of an appreciative audience.  It reminded me of the time I participated in a juried art show, and the other artists just kept saying how happy they were to have been selected and to have the opportunity to show their work. It seems that all artists, no matter their field, share common ground.

Although we didn't know this before going to the show, Marcus Shelby is a performer concerned with social justice, as evidenced by this project.  Social justice is also a big theme in my art work.  The Art Journal page above features lyrics from "Jacob's Ladder," a black spiritual song based on Genesis 28:11-19 originally performed by  Bob Seeger and recently adapted by Bruce Springsteen on the album, "We Shall Overcome:  The Seeger Sessions."  Although this is the messiest and grungiest page in my Graffiti Art Journal, I like how the lyrics flow and how the birds seem to be rising up out of a storm and into a brighter future.

Apropos of this post, DH and I had Sunday night relatively free because we had been planning to go see the "Playing for Change" concert in San Francisco with friends.  Those plans fell through, but I wanted to share this video with you, so you can see what it was all about.  It features street musicians from all over the world singing Stand By Me, and it's a very upbeat way to start your day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your art journal page is beautiful. I'll pass the link about the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society on to my daughter who lives in the Bay area.

Heather said...

Love your art journal page. Beautiful blending & birds

Dave said...

Your art journal page is soooo pretty. I love the drips!

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing all of this. The journal page is lovely.

scrappyjacky said...

Love these Art Journal pages.
Sadly very few artists in any field mange to make a real living at it.

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous journal pages.

scrappyjacky said...

Rinda...I've just changed the font on my blog....could you let me know if you find it easier to read....I tried changing from normal to large font....but that made it too big and 'in your face'!

Kathy M said...

Nice post and journal entry. I don't think it's very grungy. Yes, the book thong arrived. Thank you!

Amy said...

I particularly like todays art work - the colours resonate with me. Thanks for the great you tube link.

Carrie/scrapchick said...

Neat post! Very pretty pages!