Friday, January 16, 2015

Sketching: Hitting my Stride

I'm making it a priority this month to make time to sketch, in hopes of deciding whether sketching is an art form I want to continue with or give up on. I'm working with 31 prompts posted by Athena (you can see them in the left side bar on my blog).  I managed four more sketches this week (see my sketches from last week here).
The sketch up top is my favorite. After sketching lightly in pencil, I added black and brown stabilo-all pencil before water coloring. I really like the finished effect. 
I was also pretty happy with these two sketches:
For all of these, I let go of the idea of trying to create an exact replica and instead focused on creating art which looks more like an illustration. That made me happy. For the caydanlik, I added my own color and pattern to a tea pot with the requisite shape.
My least favorite sketch for this week was based on the prompt for a recently received gift:
I love the watch Henry gave me for Christmas, just not my rendition of it. I'm glad I'm undertaking this sketch challenge. I feel like I am developing my sketching style. I also like the way I photographed my sketches this week. So glad to be using my big camera more regularly this year.

8 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I like the pine cone best too. I can definitely see a style emerging.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hooray for sketching! This makes me want to get my sketchbook out and do nothing else for the entire weekend! Your composition is awesome, Rinda. And I love that you are enjoying the process so much. Keep up the great work. xo

alexa said...

That sounds like a great way to make a decision - to give it a really good go first. I admire the way you make time to sketch daily like this. And that's a lovely teapot ...

Karen said...

Enjoy seeing your sketches. It's something I've spent a lot of time on since this summer, and am enjoying a lot. Love the different tones and texture in the pinecone.

scrappyjacky said...

I love the pine cone as well.
I know that sketching isn't for me....hope this challenge will help you come to a decision.

Miriam said...

Yes, I love pine cones too and your sketches are lovely.

Melissa said...

OH Rinda, you are doing a great job. I really like the pinecone, too!

Anonymous said...

They're all wonderful but I'd say my favourite is the pine cone. What a neat looking tea pot though. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you sketch.