Monday, July 8, 2013

GIT: Passport to Art Catch-Up

I've been doing a lot of cutting and gluing (plus a little painting and journaling) in the altered book class "Passport to Art" class I've been taking. Glue it Tuesday, hosted by Artsyville seemed like the perfect opportunity to share my recent pages. The page up top is a simple one responding to a prompt to write about a special place with strong memories for you and to use flowers. Since my altered book had a gorgeous picture of Yosemite and it's a magical place for me, I created the very simple page above. I added a few brushes of gesso to allow journaling for three specific memories and a little little journaling  booklet with a flower girl art doll. 
The next two pages are a bit more interactive.  The emphasis in the top photo is on the page and a half on the left. It responds to a prompt about my favorite form of travel, which is train travel.  The journaling talks about train trips we took when Henry was little and the connection this has to my family history because both my grandfathers worked for railroads in Mexico and Texas. I included copies of tickets that my mother used in 1948 to travel on the Mexican Railroad and the Missouri Pacific Line.
The emphasis in the bottom photo is on the page and a half on the right. It responds to a prompt about packing, and it includes some of my tips for packing. I used more map paper and some Gibson girl stamped images. You can click on the images to see them in more detail.
My final page to share today responds to the prompt to create a visa. I cut up copies of my grandmother's travel documents and glued them to my page. I added a little journaling to a photo I added to the right hand page: "My grandmother got a visa and crossed borders to create a new life." These documents were used, in lieu of a passport by my grandmother when she crossed the  border. In the photo on the Identification Certificate, my mom is the little girl on the right. I love having these personal heritage documents and feel they add depth and meaning to my art work.
My altered book is looking very different than Bernice's book (see a sample here), the hostess of the class. But that's okay. I'm really enjoying exploring the meaning of travel in my life and I'm using elements which speak to me. I have been surprised to realize how much traveling I have done and how important it is to my identity.  What about you? Are you a big traveler? Is it important to defining who you are?

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Your pages look great. I am not a great traveller, most of our holidays are taken in the UK.

Sian said...

I love this. Funny, one of the objects I considered for my Precious this month was my dad's passport. It's about the only thing I have of his and I treasure it. I always knew he was small, but it wasn't until I got hold of his passport that I discovered how tiny he really was. Even TSO would be taller than him now.

Yes, travel is a huge part of who I am and I get it from my dad. There is nothing to beat the exhilaration of standing in the middle of a strange town deciding where to start

Anonymous said...

great pages! ...we trvael a lot as well, so maps especially are part of y travels. I love them in any way, so by chance, there's one on my recent page too ;)
Cheers!
Jana

Unknown said...

I LOVE to travel and I miss it so much. Exploring new things, sharing experiences with loved ones, all with the 'unknown' around the corner. I can't think of anything better :) Your book is going to have lots of wonderful stories in it.

Anonymous said...

Wow these pages make me want to go on a loooong trip immediately!
Cheers
Gabriele 13

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

These pages look great! We don't travel much, just to visit family and once in a great while to the beach for a few days.

Susie said...

Your pages bring out the wanderlust in me. For now I have to travel in spirit and your journal allow me to dream.

Paper rainbow said...

Lovely travel journal pages, Maps are such interesting things anyway and to add stories to them is even nicer.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Your art journal pages always make me want to grab a magazine, some scissors and glue, and get with it. These are fantastic, Rinda!

Linda said...

Love your pages!I am not usually much of a traveller, but this year we have our California adventure, and I am really looking forward to spending some time in Yosemite:)

Alison said...

Love these pages....I love travelling, though haven't had the opportunity to get further than the UK this past couple of years...I'm hoping that might change later this year though!
Alison xx

Karen said...

I love to travel, and feel blessed to have seen so much of our country in the last few years. Our last trip was truly a dream come true and now I'm creating a bucket list of foreign travel. I love your pages, and the journaling-- "and crossed borders to create a new life."
Talk about travel adventures . . .

storybeader said...

your pages are great! I, too, like historical info in my journal pages. And I too love train travel. I used to travel by train when I was a child, and try every time I can (not often) to add to that! Your class sounds real neat! {:-Deb

Jen said...

Oh I love seeing all your pages together like this Rinda - it really gives the feel pf your book. You have some wonderful stories added already and I am facinated by where this class is taking us. I haven't travelled widely except in my own country - but have started to visit Europe now our family has flown the nest - and can now reached double figures with the different countries of Europe we have visited. And how I smiled when I read you love train travel - trains are my favourite form of transport too! J x

Miriam said...

Your book is so inspiring Rinda and it is wonderful to see so many pages together, you get a real sense of the project. I am not the best traveller these days.

Marit said...

I'm not much of a traveler anymore (I did have my share of traveling when I was younger, though!) but I love travel journals and pages about trips. Especially when there are parts of maps there... gorgeous! Happy Glue it Tuesday - on Thursday ;)

Nathalie said...

Oooh, that first page is gorgeous! Love how you added your journaling to it! I love how you are mixing art and really family history on those pages...

Missus Wookie said...

I really like that you've added bits of your family history to the page. Travel is a large part of who I am and what we do as a family. Interesting stuff to think about you - thanks :)

Lou said...

a wonderful project...with family details...a treasure x

Flora said...

I love these pages especially the center one. I love traveling but don't get away as much as I'd like to.

Irene said...

How great to have personal documents of loved ones. I have a few and did not know what to do with them. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Your pages look great Rinda. Oh yes, I love to travel and am always looking forward to the next trip.