Monday, July 15, 2013

GIT/Passport to Art: Family Travels

A simple post for Glue it Tuesday at artsyville. This is an altered book page about how Paul and I decided early in the kids' lives that we would travel with them internationally (A LOT).  I listed some of our major international trips on map paper and glued it on the right. I used grey acrylic paint along the bottom half of the page to make a smooth transition from the art to the page.  Used some art doll stamps (painted with water colors) to represent the family. Added some quotes from the Passport to Art class: "I challenge you to make your life a masterpiece." from Tom Robbins and "We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." from Hilaire Bellec.
The page was inspired by the prompt for Day 8 in the Passport to Art class about taking a leap of faith, which these trips truly were. Although the kids (at 15 and 18) don't remember a lot of the details of many of these trips, they do remember that we traveled together as a family and are both totally fearless travelers. They will always remember the importance we placed on family trips and will not be intimidated by new experiences.  Paul and I remember it all and wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.

16 comments:

Amy said...

They may not remember it all but it sets them up for a life of adventure and the ability to be independent - great attributes in my opinion!

scrappyjacky said...

I'm sure there are lots of important little snippets that they do remember....or will be brought back to them by other experiences in their lives....and will have encouraged them to be open to new experiences.
I love how you've used the art dolls.

alexa said...

How lovely that you have given them the experience of seeing the world as a wide open space in which they can feel safe to and explore. I like your idea of writing down all the trips on the right ...

Linda said...

Another great page Rinda! Your kids must have had some great experiences! Can you jog their memories from time to time to see if they remember? I am not a confident traveller and would love my kids to enjoy travelling! DS does not, but DD does:)

Miriam said...

A really wonderful page Rinda.

Abi said...

That is such a great decision to have made with them. I know from travelling at a young age that there are memories there that will be with you for life. Fab page and the quotes are wonderful.

JO SOWERBY said...

I love the pages and what a wonderful opportunity your children had to experience the world. I've only travelled abroad as an adult but we travelled in the UK as children and we got to see lots of fab places in Scotland, Cornwall, Wales, Dorset, Sussex, Scotland etc,
Jo xxx

Jo Murray said...

International travel is a wonderful education for children. You are wise to include them in your travels.

Karen said...

You (and they) were so fortunate to be able to do this kind of travel together. Memories of family travel (though not international) remain among my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you incorporate journaling into your collage work. Always interesting to see. Thank you for sharing.
~Dawn

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Some of my best memories are connected to traveling with Carrie, and I really wish I'd been in a position to travel more with her when she was really young. A really fun journal page, Rinda - love that you used the map paper for part of it!

Unknown said...

We traveled with our kids. It was the best experience. I love the writing along with top of the hills.

Linda Kunsman said...

what a lovely spread commemorating your family trips. Those experiences will never be forgotten. What a loving gift for your children.

storybeader said...

how great for the kids to be fearless travelers. You and your husband must have been too, to travel with children. Love the family representative! {:-Deb

Textile Recycler said...

I really like what you created :)

Anonymous said...

What a great page Rinda and those quotes are wonderful. How great that you & Paul made sure to travel as a family. I bet it's led to some wonderful memories for the kids.