Thursday, December 17, 2009

Grace (an Art Doll)

I took a break from all my work-work and from the kids to spend time with my Coastside Mixed Media Art Group.  We gather about once a month at a local coffee shop to make art. The very nice owner, Luz, lets us in after hours to create, while she does her baking for the next day.

For Christmas, we decided to do an Art Doll swap.  We drew names, and I picked one of my favorite art friends, Anne.  I call Anne my art angel because she always loves whatever I do and cheers me on with encouragement and support.  I wanted to make her something special.  I gave Anne her doll before I could take a picture, but "Grace" (at left) is very similar.  The head and body are from an Invoke Arts stamp.  I made her skirt out of plaster wrap because Anne and I took the plaster art class together.  The byzantine paints I used for the skirt and blouse are ones that Anne gave me.  I added embossed grungeboard pieces and wings that I stamped onto a cardboard coffee holder to remind her of our group meetings.  Anne loved her!

7 comments:

Margi said...

Very, very kewl!

Sian said...

I'll bet she liked it because it's absolutely beautiful!

humel said...

Wow, I love her too - well, I love Grace, so I'm sure I'd love her sister! :-)

scrappyjacky said...

Such a gorgeous,individual present....no wonder she loved it.

Anonymous said...

What a special gift! I love that you get to create art in the coffee shop after hours--how much fun is that!

Amy said...

Of course she did!
What beautiful colours you have chosen Rinda - I love the idea of your art group :-)

nancy y said...

I like how you incorporated items/supplies that would remind her of your times together.