Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Blog cos you want to: Still Life Free Choice

My friend, Sian, runs the "Blog Cos You Want To" Club where she suggests some easy ways to create blog posts. Recently, she suggested simply posting a photograph of a craft project without worrying about coming up with words to go with your photo. She suggests that you might just end up with an interesting post. And I think she's on to something. . . 
I've been meaning to photograph these embroidered cat pillows. I did the embroidery when I was quite young. They are, from what I can remember, my very first craft projects ever. They make me smile whenever I look at them, partly because I remember the joy of completing the embroidery and partly because they are one example of what a great gift-giver my mother was. You see, although I completed the stitching on these cats, I never actually made them into pillows. My mom did that and then gave them to me for Christmas one year when I was in my 20's. She had found the stitched samplers and knew I would appreciate receiving them in a more functional form. And she was right, as witnessed by the fact that I have kept them safe and secure for another thirty years.
When the Frugal Still Life Photography class posted a "free choice" subject for the final week of class at the same time that I read Sian's club inspiration, I decided to try to create still lifes using these pillows. 
And here's what I came up with:
I think this is a much better way to photograph the red cat pillow than simply by its lonesome. 
And then there's this:
 
{thanks to Deb Turtle for the bird}
I'm unaccountably happy with this second effort. There's something homey and whimsical about it, but it suggests a story as well. It's my selection for the "free choice" still life. 
And, finally, here's one last photograph. It's a project, and I'm not explaining it.
Because Sian said that I didn't have to . . .
Are you bloggin' cos you want to?

17 comments:

helena said...

what a wonderful gift from your Mum. Last image is fabulous - and intriguing

Kokopelli said...

Yes, I blog because I want to, sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. I always have times, espcially during summer, where I have weeks or sometimes months without Blogging. Because I want to. :)
BTW, I just posted some older projects I made when I began with embroidery.

Miriam said...

What a lovely post Rinda. It has reminded me of something I could post about. I definitely blog 'cause I want to although right now WordPress is driving me insane. I am finding it impossible to post. Waiting for the help desk to reply.

Jane said...

I really enjoyed reading this postx

scrappyjacky said...

I love the embroidered cushions....so cool and vintage.How lovely that your mum finished them for you.

Cheri said...

great choice for a still life Rinda! I don't think I have anything from when I was young (except school papers). Makes me wonder what I would think of my early efforts now!

Sian said...

Now there's a post to put a smile on my face :) I enjoyed every last word! The cats are adorable..and I love how by posting them you reminded me of a first craft project of my own: a little red and blue felt elephant. I wish I could find him now. And what a lovely, lovely gift - the best kind.

Keep on blogging!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh I just love those little embroidered cats, Rinda, and what a sweet surprise to see the bird I made you in the mix. :o) Made my heart do a happy little leap so thanks for that. Great photos!

sky-blu-pink said...

Great vignettes! I blog because I want to, I would like to do it more.

Anonymous said...

I too love the cat cushions, although not a cat lover myself I think I could live happily with cats like those in my home x

Missus Wookie said...

I like that last yellow pillow and bird combination although both cat pillows are fun.

Yes, I blog because I want to - don't know what my first craft projects were but shall ponder.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Love that last picture! Ive been working on a post about my crochet hat issues, but I need more photos.

Sheena said...

I really like the cat cushions & could find them room at ours :)

Beverly said...

Wow, creating the still lifes really made a huge difference! Adorable pillows and a very sweet mama.

Karen said...

How cool! It makes me wonder where my very first stitching project is. I know I have it somewhere!

Alison said...

Love the cats...and the fact that your mom kept them and made them into gifts at a time when you would really appreciate them!
Alison xx

alexa said...

What a special Mom to make your lovely stitching into something which would be used and on display. :). My curiosity is piqued by that last photo!