I selected this series of photographs for the Week 3 assignment in the Find Your Voice workshop I'm taking which asked for a group of photos which make you happy and a list of five reasons that they make you happy. This is a series of photographs taken from the dugout at a baseball game. Why do they make me happy?
1. They capture moments that are often invisible to baseball fans.
2. They capture the combination of boredom and joy experienced by players in the dugout during a baseball game.
3. They are unposed and authentic.
4. Henry's shoes in the first one and his smile in the last one.
5. They border on photojournalism.
I recently posted a craft project (an altered book page) and a list of five reasons it made me happy. It is interesting to me that there is virtually no overlap between the lists! The only reason found on both lists is that they tell a story that I was happy to have record. There's one more assignment left to do (write a story that makes you happy and list five reasons). I've decided what I want to write about (a travel story). I can't wait to see what similarities (if any) exist between my lists at that point. Do you think your photography makes you happy for reasons that are different from your other artistic pursuits?