Friday, October 8, 2010

Going Goth

The Old Woman's Prophecy (art journal page)
Gingerstamp Creations is hosting a Goth-tober Fest this month.  Their first challenge was to create something with "Gothic elements" . . . things that are disturbing, off-kilter, supernatural and foreboding.  I have to admit that I creeped myself out a bit with this art journal page.  The journaling reads "It was never clear if they married because of or in spite of the old woman's prophecy."  I started by painting a page and then added an altered copy of my grandparent's wedding portrait.  I scrunched up the border of a paper napkin and topped with German scrap for the bottom border.  I found a black & white flower element and a Southern Gothic old woman in my stash.  Added some German scrap wings to the woman and some black paper flowers up top.  I feel like it really helped me understand Gothic. Funny, as much as I like Halloween and Dias de los Muertos, I'm thinking that true Gothic is not for me!

16 comments:

Amy said...

I love your processes and the technique, and the colours of course, but, I'm not a Goth girl either!

helena said...

wow - really spooky image and the words are eerie too. Great bit of goth

scrappyjacky said...

Very spooky....the altered photo looks amazing....and the words definately a bit disturbing!!!!

Michele said...

impressively spooky! well done. xo

Netty said...

Terrific art journal page, really creepy.....Annette x

Jean Franks Beck said...

This is exquisite! Fabulously creative and gothic - you rocked it! Thanks for playing along at Gingersnap. :)

Sian said...

Oooh, this is deliciously creepy Rinda. I love it!

humel said...

Gosh - the photo negative is very creepy! Great piece, though, Rinda xx

PetraB said...

Great gothic art, the image is quite creepy! Thank you for joining us at Gingersnap.

SmilynStef said...

Love what you did with that image ... so ethereal ... thanks for getting Goth with us at Gingersnap Creations.

donna said...

Very cool. I love all the elements you combined. Very gothic. I hope to give it a try.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

You're funny, Rinda. It is a rather spooky page, but I do like it! xo

Esther said...

Hi - this is a great spooky page, I love what you did to the photo, very ghostly! Esther xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning page! Even if you think Gothic is not for you, the result is amazing!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Very creepy! I love it!

Kris Dickinson said...

Ooooo I love this piece!